Need help picking equipment (new tank).

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

pedzola

Need help picking equipment (new tank).

Post by pedzola » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:15 pm

I am getting a larger tank that will be primarily for loaches.

I am trying to decide between an acrylic or glass tank.

The acrylic is a Tenecor 75-long, 60x18x16. (about $500)
The glass is a Perfecto 75, 48x18x20. (about $150)

The acrylic would be a 1-month wait, and also I will probably have to construct my own stand, or modify a perimeter stand meant for a glass tank. The perfecto I can get with a very nice stand by next week with a glass top and strip light together for less than the cost of the acrylic tank alone.

I am leaning towards the perfecto, even tho it is slightly less "floor space." Does anyone have other recommendations here?

Also, for either one of these tanks I was planning to get an Eheim 2128 thermofilter for filtration + heating in one. That would be enough filtration for a 75g tank, right? It says its good up to 150g or something. Any other filtration recommendations?

I'm not planning to have live plants, so for lighting I was going to go with a simple single or maybe double flourescent strip light. Any ideas here?

Any help you can provide me would be great. The tank inhabitants will include 3 clown loaches (2-3"), 2 yo-yo loaches (2-3"), a red tail shark, and other fish as yet to be decided. (probably at least a couple more clowns - other than that i dunno yet).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!! :) Thanks!

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:26 pm

Jeez that is tough one. If I am right the acrylic is only 16 high? That is on the low side that said it would imho make a great tank for a river tank type setup
for the botias.
One canister filter in a tank that long would not cut it ime. But if you built either river tank manifold or undergravel jet network it would be ok.
A standard 75 is nice and cheap and easy to light and equip but the extra length would be nice.
Good luck on your decision.
Erik
16G bent corner planted ,pressurized Co2, turbotwist 9w, jebo 828 , 36 led

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:44 pm

How urgent is the purchase? And how much shopping around have you done? In this city anyway, retailers are all over the map with prices. They can also order pretty much any tank you want. My advice would be to ask around for low prices on the tank that makes the most sense for the look and style you are aiming for. Find out who can sell it to you for the least amount of money.

If you're like me, you'll be very impatient to set up the new tank once you've decided to spend the money. With a bit of patient research you can avoid mistakes. I would choose the glass over acrylic, but both can be very easily customized to your needs. If they quote you a ridiculous price, just walk out.

If you have to go out of town - or into town - to get a better deal, you should consider the option.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

jerry_tyler

Post by jerry_tyler » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:49 pm

Pedzol check this out. They are `cheap glasscages.com
hope this helps

poeticpyro

Post by poeticpyro » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:50 pm

i have a glass tank and an acrylic.. they both are amazing, but i have to say i like the acrylic more. it's much much lighter and more durable. it's so much easier to move to new locations as well. the glass is pretty, but it's also very bulky and heavy... always a 2-man job... i agree with mark.. SHOP AROUND! i've been tank hunting now for... 3 months and finally found a nice 90 gallon acrylic bow-front for 300 bucks.. not bad at all. take care and good luck in your tank adventures!
many tanks...

got to love my fat little wobbly wigglies...

pedzola

Post by pedzola » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:54 pm

[replying to Erik...]

lol - thanks man. I think you are as indecisive as I am.

The glass tank is way cheaper, so I'm leaning that way, even tho it's a lil shorter than I would like... that, plus the difficulty in finding a 60x18 stand w/a solid top for an acrylic tank. :(

In a regular 75g you think I should have 2 cannister filters? I was hoping the 2128 would cover me. It is pretty sweet because of the included heater and temperature probe. At almost $300, I don't think I'd want 2 of them! Maybe a 2128 and a 2026?

What about lighting?
Last edited by pedzola on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

jerry_tyler

Post by jerry_tyler » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:55 pm

Glasscages for 450.00 will sell you a new aquarium 96x24x25 = 240gallons. I don't know if you have the room

pedzola

Post by pedzola » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:57 pm

Mark in Vancouver wrote:How urgent is the purchase? And how much shopping around have you done?

Need the tank set up and ready for fish inside 6 weeks.

5 aquatic shops in my area. Hit up all of them.

Prices ranged from $350 for an all glass tank w/shoddy looking pine stand, to $2000 for 110g Oceanic aquarium w/stand.

All 5 retailers carry NO acrylics. 2 told me they can't order them. 1 has taken 2 weeks to get me a quote on a tenecor and im still waiting. Never asked the other 2.

pedzola

Post by pedzola » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:01 am

jerry_tyler wrote:Pedzol check this out. They are `cheap glasscages.com
hope this helps
Read lots of bad stuff about glass cages on other forums.

I'm not looking for cheap, I'm looking for good quality that will last a long time. If that means I gotta spend some extra $$ then thats what I'll do....

Unfortunately I'm limited to a 5ft width tank... and theres just not a lot of 60" wide tanks out there. Lots of 48" tanks tho... and relatively cheap.

All-glass tanks look shoddy to me. Inspecting several I've found that the edges don't even line up on many of the tanks!! The perfectos I was able to check out all seemed very well made. I think the seams look nicer w/the black calk/sealant as well.

After checking out some oceanic tanks it seemed like the perfectos were built just as well. *shrug* Was told by one LFS owner that perfecto's are his favorite tank, and that oceanics are just overpriced. Said he's had a 260g perfecto for several years and has never had any issues w/it.

pedzola

Post by pedzola » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:04 am

poeticpyro wrote:i have a glass tank and an acrylic.. they both are amazing, but i have to say i like the acrylic more... i agree with mark.. SHOP AROUND! ... finally found a nice 90 gallon acrylic bow-front for 300 bucks
:( lucky!

I have an acrylic 40g and it is very nice. The light weight, extra strength, and virtual lack of seams appeals to me very much.

Mine is a seaclear. The only bad thing about the tank is that the top is warping pretty bad after only a year of use.

Many people are telling me that glass tanks are much better... but I still like my acrylic, and I wouldn't be considering paying 4x as much for one if I didn't think it would be sweet!

...just not sure it's $350 extra kind of sweet... possibly much more than that cause I have yet to find a suitable stand.

pedzola

Post by pedzola » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:13 am

I've basically decided to go w/the 75g perfecto and black "prestige" stand.

If you all could help me w/filtration and lighting and other pertinent issues, that would be great. :D

Eheim cannisters? 1 or 2? w/heat or separate heaters?

Lights for loaches?

Substrate? (I much prefer gravel to sand, but I know many of you say that sand is better for loaches.... ) :\

THANKS!

Erik

Post by Erik » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:39 am

Yep I am.
On the 75 one cansister.
On the acrylic one cansister and some other water movement system ie powerheads, rivertank manifoild,undergravel jet etc.
I would lean towards the jets as Ithink clows would enjoy the current spots around the tank.
pedzola wrote:[replying to Erik...]

lol - thanks man. I think you are as indecisive as I am.

The glass tank is way cheaper, so I'm leaning that way, even tho it's a lil shorter than I would like... that, plus the difficulty in finding a 60x18 stand w/a solid top for an acrylic tank. :(

In a regular 75g you think I should have 2 cannister filters? I was hoping the 2128 would cover me. It is pretty sweet because of the included heater and temperature probe. At almost $300, I don't think I'd want 2 of them! Maybe a 2128 and a 2026?

What about lighting?
16G bent corner planted ,pressurized Co2, turbotwist 9w, jebo 828 , 36 led

pedzola

Post by pedzola » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:59 am

Erik wrote:Yep I am.
On the 75 one cansister.
Cool... I think the single 2128 should be fine.

As for extra water movement, I'm going to include an air pump for a couple bubble spots in the tank. My clowns like to "surf" in air bubbles. They position themselves vertically (nose-down) above the air stone and hover there like they are flying through space or something. ^____^

It helps to keep the water moving too.

pedzola

Post by pedzola » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:38 pm

Well I went ahead and bought everything.

Perfecto Tank w/black Prestige series stand, glass cover, and strip light.
Eheim 2128 thermofilter w/various filter pads and media.
Rena air pup & accessories.

Everything should be here on Thursday. :)

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:52 pm

Here was an option....60"x 23 x 24 glass tank with curved front corners...130 gallon.

I nearly got a job as a sales rep with this company. Gorgeous aquariums.

http://www.aqua88.com/products.html

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.