Golden Sucking Loach - companions?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Kat

Golden Sucking Loach - companions?

Post by Kat » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:21 am

Anyone know what you can keep these with once they get big and agressive?
Mine are only babies now, but I don't want to keep them on their own in a tank...
K

sophie

Post by sophie » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:47 pm

they're not actually loaches, so I might get told off for not posting this on the freshwater forum (Martin? ;-)), but the only thing I can think of that would almost definitely be ok with them is something small and schooling. Not at risk of being eaten and too little to attack. And probably too high up in the water column, the CAEs like to hang around at the bottom. I think a badtempered one would be competing for territory with most kinds of loaches. Whether it would damage them I don't know, but they might well end up feeling harrassed.

A fair amount of room, lots of algae and lower temps seem (anecdotally) to keep them sweeter. Sweetish, anyway.
sophie.
there is no them
there is only us

http://www.duckduckgoosestuff.co.uk

Kat

Not a loach?

Post by Kat » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:24 am

Oh I didn't realise they weren't loaches. Are they some kind of chinese mutant catfish? Am I correct that small fish that might fit the bill might include gupppies? I can't think of any really small fishes that are top dwelling and schooling. Someone mentioned cichlids, not noted for their beauty though - and I am not sure if they would fit the water the un-loaches prefer. Any ideas anyone? Should I move this onto the freshwater forum...?
K

sophie

Post by sophie » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:31 pm

there's info here:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile47.html

They're river fish and like current (hence the sucker), but as long as you've got well-oxygenated water you should be ok. Small schooling mid-to-top dwellers shouldn't be too hard to find - rasboras spring to mind, I'm pretty sure they should like the same kind of conditions, too. I know almost nothing about guppies, I'm afraid, but they could well work.

I don't belong to the "put it in a tank with other big territorial fish" school of thought; I'd just be inclined not to out it with anything it might get grumpy with - which is probably anthing bigger than a small goldfish!
sophie.
there is no them
there is only us

http://www.duckduckgoosestuff.co.uk

Azmeaiel

Post by Azmeaiel » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:48 am

guppies are definitly not advised. they are usually the first targets for a beating. A lot of friends of mine keep them with any cichlid not big enough to eat them.

Kat

Post by Kat » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:32 am

Thanks for the advice guy's. I will do some investigations to see what is available that can live with these things!
Many thanks again,
Kat