Wood decorations

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

andyroo

Wood decorations

Post by andyroo » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:34 pm

Folks,

You can tell i'm off today, lots of posted questions... This bad weather is heaven sent. A good day for bad puns as well.

Wood as a decoration:
Are there particular types of wood to be avoided (cedar etc...) or sought out?
Is bamboo OK? The shapes in the roots are interesting/attractive, and the hollow segments make for great habitat/hides.

Any suggestions on methods for getting it to sink? (Preferably with minimal engineering)

I've got access to tropical hard-woods that sink (guango, ironwood, bulletwood, acacia etc...) but am terrified that they may contain poisonous or otherwise inappropriate chemicals.
Is there a recomended curing process?
Removal of leaching saps, tannins and such?

Andyroo
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

clownloach

Post by clownloach » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:18 pm

First off i doubt the bamboo will do any harm to your fish. And it would be nice as a decoration too.

I wouldn't use cedar or pine or any other wood that can be bought at a local wood store.

I suggest driftwood that most local fish shops should have. Here are some things that you should do to get rid of any chemicals or nasty things in that driftwood. (This is what i do when i get driftwood.)

I turn the bathtub to the hotest water possible, which is extremely hot in my particular bathtub, yours may be cooler. Anyways- While it's running the hot water get a dishwasher brush or something with a handle. Then scrub the crap out of the driftwood. This will get rid of most bacteria and chemicals. Notice i say most, as you can't get rid of all of them, but normaly most stores that sell that kind of wood, usually i wouldn't worry to much about anything being harmful. BUT i would do those things i said earlier just in case :wink:
Q('.'Q)

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:51 pm

You might find this link useful:

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/man ... uascaping/

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:01 pm

Actually the bamboo may need to age (in water?) a while. I think it was a link in an earlier post about clown natural habitat. The fish catchers use bamboo but "the fish don't like new". I'd beware any resin-y or aromatic type wood.
I'm of the bleach, boil, soak with water changes & lots of scrub brushing school on wood treatment. I've also read salt is good. I haven't done it but drilling a hole in slate(shingle) with a masonary bit & attaching wood with screws if you're a DIY person is supposed to work. That said, I have a piece of driftwood bought "for aquarium use" I've soaked for months that just will not sink.
Nancy