Lost two today :(

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Spankenstyne

Lost two today :(

Post by Spankenstyne » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:14 pm

Well i lost what appeared to be my two thickest and healthiest appearing Dario today. There had been no signs at all of ich for days (was very very minor to begin with), all the fish had been clear since overnight the first night i raised the temps some and it's been a week i believe with the raised temps. I did use meds for parasites yesterday as it looks like they are most likely suffering from the wasting syndrome and the surviving 3 were the skinniest. I wonder if the other two may have eaten themselves to death? They had some pretty full bellies yesterday and the two that died i noticed later yesterday evening were the only two non active ones, just chilling out in the darker part of the aquarium not moving much. I tested the water and it's still holding solid in all areas so nothing changed suddenly, no sudden temp spikes either or anything like that the temp although raised has been solid & consistant for many days now.

A bit disheartening but we'll soldier on. I took some pics and will post them later. I wonder if maybe they just succumbed to the parasite load or maybe reacted to the meds? The only thing i did differently yesterday was medicate and feed a bit more than usual.

Every day i'd come home and check for any deaths and was beginning to think i need not worry when this happened. If anything i expected the skinniest and smallest to be the first to go if anything happened.

Spankenstyne

Post by Spankenstyne » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:20 pm

Oh and the medication i used was a half dose of "General Cure for parasite control" by Aquarium Parmaceuticals.

Each capsule contains:

125 mg Metronidazole

13 mg Copper Sulfate

8 mg Trichlorfon

Said to use one capsule for 10 gallons so i used one for every 20 gallons instead (4 capsules in 80 gallons)

Spankenstyne

Post by Spankenstyne » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:24 pm

If the meds aren't any good i don't wanna do the last dose tomorrow. The rest of the fish seem just fine and are all quite active and playing in the current, looking for food in the sand/wood/rock.

(edited for spelling)

Spankenstyne

Post by Spankenstyne » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:27 pm

Just an update..

Well today we're feeling a bit better about it all. All were fine overnight and through today, last night we took the two deceased back and were given two healthier looking and thicker (although smaller) dario as replacements. The store also tested and said our water was perfectly fine and healthy looking as far as levels go. I was dreading the walk down the stairs this morning but everything was fine thankfully.

Today i bought some Aquarisol and dosed that instead of going with the second dose of the other meds. I just wasn't very comfortable with the meds i had and have heard many good things about Aquarisol, not to mention it states it's for sensitive fish so it just seemed more appropriate. It also mentions a few more symptoms we've seen so hopefully we'll have some success with it.

All the fish seem to be acting normal. One loach i was watching a little closer as it seemed to sort of separate from the group more and hang out last night and the gf said it was a little pale and withdrawn when she got home, but it's also now happily playing with the others and of normal colouration, full of vigor.

I just hope we're doing right by these guys, we're getting so attached to them it's tough but i really don't want to overdo trying to help them.