new filtration, fish all hiding...

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

sophie

new filtration, fish all hiding...

Post by sophie » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:18 am

Long story short?

a few months ago, the fluval filter I had packed up, and I bought an eheim internal whihc the man in the shop assured me (I know, I know) would be adequate for the 39 gallon tank. It clearly isn't, clogging within a few days.

so. being skint, I have gone for another temporary solution which is a second hand internal filter. Resun 1500, cheap 'n' cheerful, which I knew would over-filter the tank, but that's not a problem, I thought. It's pretty noisy, but it's a cheap filter. It creates a LOT of water movement, which the fish aren't used to, and at the moment the loaches are all hiding. I suspect some of the other fish would if they fitted under the wood...

anyway. is this degree of water movement a problem? There are corners of the tank with very little movement, and I've angled the outlet so that there's one turbulent corner at the top. The movement in the rest iof the tank I can watch due to duckweed (I quite like duckweed) and it's not great enough to push the fish about, but it is there.

Is it likely to continue to bother the fish? Or is it that they need to get used to the noise? In a couple of months I want to get another fluval, but I'd rather not stretch the credit card more than necessary at the moment...

any opinions very welcome.
sophie.
there is no them
there is only us

http://www.duckduckgoosestuff.co.uk

clownloach

Post by clownloach » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:49 pm

I would say that they would get use to it in a couple of days, maybe weeks. Strong current can be a good thing when you have plants in there to keep the hair algae off.
Q('.'Q)

Lotus

Post by Lotus » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:35 pm

Have you checked your water parameters? Changing your filter can cause nitrite or ammonia spikes.
So long, and thanks for all the fish.

sophie

Post by sophie » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:33 pm

Lotus wrote:Have you checked your water parameters? Changing your filter can cause nitrite or ammonia spikes.
not if you put the old filter media in the new filter :lol:

they're much more out and about now, though mocing Very Fast. fun to watch.
sophie.
there is no them
there is only us

http://www.duckduckgoosestuff.co.uk