New Tank... pics & more.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

pedzola

New Tank... pics & more.

Post by pedzola » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:47 pm

In a previous thread I had detailed my plans for a new tank. Since I didn't receive much of a reaction to my equipment choices I guess I did alright.

A rundown:
Perfecto 75g (48x18x20)
Perfecto "Prestige" stand
Eheim 2128 Thermofilter
Rena 300 air pump
Perfecto strip light

FISH - None in there yet. Planning to add my 3 clowns, 2 yoyos, 1 red tail shark, and then buy more fish. Maybe a couple more clowns and/or other loaches... maybe a school of some kind of "dither fish." Any ideas?

Here are the pics.... Let me know what you think. Thanks!

jerry_tyler

Post by jerry_tyler » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:02 pm

Very natural. Really looks nice. :D

shari

Post by shari » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:18 pm

Nice round gravel. Got a pic with the stand too? I think the filtration is good and the bubbles should be fun 8)

I'd get another yo yo if you could. There are so many choices for dithers! I have cardinal tetras, others have barbs of all different kinds, some have rainbow fish, basically, check out the net, see what you like, see if they'll thrive with your tank conditions and inhabitants. Take your time :wink:

For me, the funnest part of a new tank is the set up and stocking. After that, it's watching and maintenance. Don't rush yourself...

pedzola

Post by pedzola » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:05 pm

hmmm unfortunately I don't have a good picture of the whole thing w/stand.

The stand is very nice though. Highly recommend this series stand if you're looking for one. ("Prestige" from Perfecto/Marineland) Mine is black, but I believe it comes in oak and cherry as well.

So... I saw some other yo-yo's at the store the other day. If I get a new one he's going to be a lot smaller than the other 2. Is that still ok? Should I get 2 others? :?:

The biggest thing for me w/the dither fish is that my shark is pretty aggressive. He's OK w/the loaches... they pretty much ignore him... but most other fish that aren't "bottom-dwellers" will go nuts trying to escape the shark, and he is more than happy to give chase.

I figured somethin fast and nippy like tiger barbs would probably put the shark in his place. But then again it would end up being a whole tank full of orange and black fish w/tiger barbs and clown loaches.... lol.

I'm going to put all other fish first, and put the shark in last.... worst case scenario is that I have to keep the shark in solitary confinement in his 20gallon tank. Poor lil guy. :< He's only got some ghost shrimp to keep him company.

clownloach

Post by clownloach » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:12 am

Might i suggest Pearl Gouramis. They are one of the best looking fish (in my opinion) on this planet. You should get like 4 - 6 of them, also have an equal balance of males and females. If you don't know... Males will show ALOT more colour and leave black and white stripes hanging from their rear.

As to your red shark I have one too and the only way I got him to stop picking on other fish is to put in an equal size indian pleco. It's really quite funny to watch because they are totally harmless to each other but they chase and fight ( harmlessly ) all the time. This may be a sollution so you don't have to have him in a small 20g. And i'm sure any fish would rather be in a 75g than a 20g :wink:
Q('.'Q)

pedzola

Post by pedzola » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:58 am

I used to have a pearl gourami. I thought he was awesome. However, I don't think they would be good for this tank.

The outflow from the filter creates a fairly strong currnet across the top of the tank. Since gouramis need to reach the surface to breath, this might not be the ideal situation for them.

Any other dither fish ideas? PH in the tank is quite high, I'm adding some Seachem stuff to bring it down to 7. So many of the south american fish that require lower PH would be out... :\

So what is this "indian pleco?" I will look it up. Would he be alright w/the loaches too?

It is funny to see the shark chase other fish because he can't really hurt them... apparently the other fish don't know that though. All he's got is a little sucker mouth! No teeth! The worst I've seen him do is try to check one of my loaches into the side of a cave they were sharing... like a little hockey player. Funny.