Not liking algae wafer

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Ippo456

Not liking algae wafer

Post by Ippo456 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:11 am

I used to feed my clowns with algae wafers & they'd go crazy whenever I dropped some in the tank & it's the only food that creates their clicking noise.
I noticed that they won't eat algae wafers anymore after they've gotten better from Ich.
Is it normal for a change in appetite after an illness?
I now feed them tubifex worms & they really like them.
The problem with tubifex worms is that I would have to turn off the filter & powerhead every time I drop the tubifex worms to avoid the worms being sucked by the BioWheel.

worton

Post by worton » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:04 am

Hey,

I had exactly the same problem few years ago with this difference my clowns have refused to eat blood worms after treating for parasites.

Everything back to normal after 3-4 months. Just keep the water clean.

Regards.

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:36 am

mix up the food. don't give it to them everyday. try hikari as well. mine love those more than others.
All your loaches are belong to me!

Rubix

Post by Rubix » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:04 pm

in the first month or two when i got my kubotai they would only eat bloodworms, wouldnt go near the algae wafers. i typically fed'm twice a day about twelve hours apart with a day of no food here and there - usually ona weekend, and they loved the worms. once i got them used to the feeding schedule and would drop some flake in there with the worms since some of the other fish liked flake more. after this combo or feeding either flake or worms for a while i tried the wafers again and they love them, i've only heard them click when they eat wafers. i tend to only feed wafers about once a week. try getting them off their wafer diet for a few days :)

Ippo456

Post by Ippo456 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:44 am

Thanks for the replies.
I was just making sure that this change in feeding behaviour is normal.
I want to feed them flakes, but with the powerhead & BioWheel, flakes seem to go everywhere .. mostly to places that the loaches don't hang out at.
I prefer wafers just because I know I can drop it in the place that the loaches like to hang out at :D
I'll most definitely will introduce them to more variety of foods.

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:27 am

my loaches used to eat my dither fish. well i havn't lost one yet in awhile. what i think was happening was that i wasn't feeding the loaches enough. i only fed them once a day. then when fish started dissappearing i changed the routine to two feedings a day. i hanv't noticed any missing fish yet since i changed their feeding times and frequency. when i first bought my loach it ate over 300 snails in one week. so the guy had a huge appetite. well, when the snails ran out, the loach started eating my danios. i guess they were the next best thing to snails in the tank. since then, i keep cherry barbs as dithers along with emerald cory cats. havn't lost a fish to a loach yet. and the loaches dance much more with the variety of food i give them. i definitely notice a big difference.
All your loaches are belong to me!

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:33 am

Whilst some people find that their loaches take flake foods, many do not. You really ought to try and get some sinking catfish pellets/tablets specifically formulated for bottom-dwelling fish, which you can alternate with different frozen foods.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Rubix

Post by Rubix » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:09 pm

the trick with flake food that i do is drop one or two flakes in the return flow from my filter so theyll sink and move about in the tank quicker. then i wait for evryone in the tank to smell'mand come out of hiding. i have an aquaclear so i can turn the flow down, which helps a lot too. but once evryone has smelled the flake and come out to frenzy, i then drop more in - usually in the rturn flow from the filter so the flakes sink down with teh current to where my cats and kubotai are. its fun watching them battle the current for food, they get upside down and pushed around in fun positions 8)

Ippo456

Post by Ippo456 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:27 pm

I feed them once a day.
Recently, I added my guppy fry because I thought they were big enough not to get eaten.
But I can't find them in the tank anymore & I have a feeling either the loaches ate them or the mommy guppy ate them :shock: