one more thing

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mckinnon

one more thing

Post by mckinnon » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:26 pm

right one last question; my dojo tank has this almost oil on the top of the water, no so much as you can feel it and you can only see it when then the top of the water is broken, i'v put the dojo's into a nother tank and cleaned there tank from top 2 bottom even changed filter and removes some large rock i think it could be. i'v taken out the plants and given them a rinse and totaly changed the water but just now when i feed then and broke the water with the food, its bad. all i can think it is, is the gravil or the plants or even the dojo's themselfs? plz help
thanks

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:29 pm

It's likely that you've not got enough movement at the water's surface. If you have an external filter, try and place the spraybar or return just above the water's surface (you might have to drop the water level by an inch or so) so that the water splashes down and breaks up the surface. If you are using internal filtration, or if you are using any powerheads on the tank, angle the flow diverters upwards so that they agitate the water's surface. This should do the trick. :wink:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

mckinnon

Post by mckinnon » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:27 pm

ah thanks i'll give it a go, but where is it comming from and have u had this problem urself?

fishnose

Post by fishnose » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:54 pm

I have this exACT same thing in two of my tanks. In one of them, I have an air pump going full blast as well as a filter that moves the equivalent volume of 10 of the tanks it is in per hour. In the other one, it is worse, and there is not as much water movement, but in a third tank, the bioload is a bit too high, the water movement is pretty low, but there is no scummy stuff.

I have noticed that when I feed more bloodworms, earthworms and lettuce, there is less than when I feed flakes alone.

mckinnon, I have noticed the same thing myself-when I add food I can see it break. I have heard that black mollies (latin name?) will eat it, but I can't try it because of the salt - loach combo.

Good luck :P .

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:16 pm

mckinnon wrote:ah thanks i'll give it a go, but where is it comming from and have u had this problem urself?
Seen/heard of it plenty of times, and the tips that I gave you will stop it from occurring 9 times out of 10. Poor circulation is normally responsible. There are other occasions when feeding with certain foods (such as whitebait) that have a high oil level can contribute to such problems too.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

mckinnon

Post by mckinnon » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:05 am

ah thanks guy for puting my mind at rest :)