Hello everbody

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Tinman

Hello everbody

Post by Tinman » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:16 pm

I have enjoyed this site and forum for the last few days,there is so much quality info in here. You people are so supportive of each other that I had to join your group. I have found your links and photo's facinating . Emma your store and tanks are so nice .Martin, the river tank is spectacular. I see plenty of regulars here and with so many people posting such good responses to questions I look forward to sharing my experiences with my loaches and listening to and reading yours. I have 7 tanks in my basement with a capacity around 1000 gallons, 4 large and a couple small with a 70 separate . All my filtration is bio stacks, 2 large home-made and a couple of Rena XP-3's with a 36 watt UV on one and air sponges in each tank. I currently have around 30 Botias and other loaches with some mid water schools and other fish. My oldest fish is a rapheal cat thats about 15 yrs. old My oldest and biggest Botias are three Macranthas about 5 years old and 5-6 inches long not counting their tails that spend their time in a 4" PVC pipe with a full grown Ornate Bichir. I look forward to meeting all of you on line.......Tinman

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:23 pm

Hello Tinman.
It sounds like a great set-up you have.
I'd love to see pics of your tanks and fish.

Rubix

Post by Rubix » Tue May 01, 2007 12:48 am

welcome, sounds like an impressive setup you have. im hoping to see pictures in the future 8)

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Tue May 01, 2007 4:06 am

Hello Tinman, Welcome to Loaches Online! :D

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Tue May 01, 2007 7:20 am

Hello ChefKeith , Rubix and Graeme. Thank You for the Welcome. I would love to show you my set-up but my pics are not near the benchmark set by this site. My set-up is for grow not show as it is in my basement with home-made tops and lighting but the fish don't seem to mind. I will post a few pics tonight after work. My avatar is one of my fish sold to me as a "Golden Loach" who is about 3.5" at about 5 years. :D

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Tue May 01, 2007 7:27 am

Welcome to LOL, Tinman. :)

Hey, don't worry about your photo quality. Not all posters here are expert photographers--I'm certainly not. Feel free to share your photos---I know we will enjoy seeing them.

LUVaLOACH

Post by LUVaLOACH » Tue May 01, 2007 8:18 am

Hello and welcome Tinman! Sounds like you have a really nice set-up going on. Glad to have you here and looking forward to some PICS, and don't worry at all...mine are never great, but we like to look all the same.

Take care,
Kris
Have you loved your loach today?

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Tue May 01, 2007 8:21 am

Welcome Tinman. Yes we would love to see pictures.

Your avatar is Sinibotia robusta.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

elfuego

Post by elfuego » Tue May 01, 2007 9:17 am

Welcome!
All pics are good pics! :D
Well behaved women rarely make history.
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich-historian

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue May 01, 2007 10:09 am

Hi Tinman, welcome to Loaches Online. :D Hope you enjoy your stay with us. And show us some pics! :wink:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Tue May 01, 2007 7:15 pm

Thanks for the Welcome from everybody.Thanks for the ID Martin I am excited to meet so many Loach crazed fish tamers. I snapped some pics of my system and put them on Photobucket . Here is a link http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t26/ ... medtinman/
I welcome comments and questions from you all. Tinman :P

worldrallynut

Post by worldrallynut » Tue May 01, 2007 7:24 pm

Nice looking tanks you have there! Wish I had the room to do something like that.
Jeremy

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue May 01, 2007 8:21 pm

Nice looking fish and fish-room. How come you have no substrate in your tanks? Loaches love to dig about in sand. :wink:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Tue May 01, 2007 8:30 pm

You have great pictures, tinman.

I enjoyed looking at all your loaches. I especially liked the markings on the clown loach in the picture titled "3 macracanthus and 13" ornate bicher."

Thanks for sharing. :D

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Tue May 01, 2007 9:39 pm

No substrate lets me maintain a clean aqaurium over the long term. I used to lose fish off and on for no reason . I can maintain my tank easier this way and I don't suffer from fish loss except rarely now . Some like my weather loach need something and I have tried little bowls of sand but they don't enter. When I used substrate my loaches used to team up as a flight and roll all the rocks in their mouths for fun and food so I am aware they like it.I would lose expensive plecos with gill infections and decided it must be a clump coming out of the substrate occasionally and getting lodged in the gills then getting infected. I just feel the risks of substrate outweigh the benefits.Plus I get a little more water in my system without the rock. My little tanks upstairs have a fine sand that keeps the waste product from entering and sinking so all is not bare here in Kansas. My separate tank I am going to try some plants and may be pulling some substrate back out of storage for that.I think I have 200-300 pounds in containers washed dried and put away of all sizes.