What to do about loaches jumping into filter repeatedly?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

fusQer

What to do about loaches jumping into filter repeatedly?

Post by fusQer » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:16 am

I recently purchased a few kubotai and munki loaches and they are in a 10g quarantine tank. I have a hangon back filter, a small one for a 10gallon tank which they keep jumping into over and over. I am really afraid one of these times I won't be here to rescue them. Luckily the impeller cannot be reached from where they land. I do keep the cover on the filter, there is about a 1/2" openning and that is it. Any krafty ideas to keep these guys out?

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:56 am

You need to fill that 1/2 inch opening. I would suggest getting some plastic canvas(plastic grid used in needlepoint) from a craft store and cutting it to fit the gap. You may have to weigh it down with a rock or something, but that should work.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:13 am

Took the words right out of my mouth Jim.....

This stuff.....

Image Water can flow through it easily.

Botia kubotai are little devils for that sort of behaviour when first introduced to a tank. You'll have to watch for such behaviour when they come out of the Q-tank into the regular tank as well. They love current. Mine kept swimming right into the outlet of a powerhead when I first got them.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.