My tanks

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:00 pm

Btw is there a room in the house with out tanks in it?
Erik:))
It's a one-bedroomed apartment.

There's no tank in the kitchen (although actually there's space, hmmmmmm). The bathroom has an empty 10 gallon stashed on end under a convenient surface. There's an empty 30 Breeder stashed in a cupboard and another empty 10 in the bedroom closet.
One of those empties is going out on the balcony in the Spring to act as an algae farm for my hillstreams.
Oh! nearly forgot.....another empty.....20 gallon cube stashed under the 120 in the bedroom :wink:

So much potential........

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

JoeKuhlii

Post by JoeKuhlii » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:13 am

Your crypt tank is extra sweet. :)

mamaschild

Post by mamaschild » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:30 am

WOW :shock: They are GORGEOUS, Martin. I love the tank with the MASS amounts of Lace Fern on wood. Spectacular :)

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:36 am

Three more pics mamaschild......

Martin.

mamaschild

Post by mamaschild » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:39 am

Thanks, Martin, I LOVE IT :)

I gotta ask. How long did it take to get that grown in? How much did you start with? I have a couple "chunky bunches" of Lace Fern and I'd Love to see it do that.

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:59 am

Can't really answer that one. I moved and everything came from other tanks. Most of this was in the 4 x 2 x 2 120 gallon which used to be the Clown's home. I just rearranged the wood its growing on in the 6 footer.The Cpypts took about a month to settle in and start new growth.
Had a little bit of melt with the big long ones, but they're growing nicely now.

Based on my local Big Al's price for a feeble bit of Windelov, I reckon there's about a grand's worth of it in this tank! In the 120, it had CO2 for a while, plus ferts and I often took a cabbage-sized hunk down to my LFS.
Store credit is sooooooo useful! :wink:

Other plants are (I think) Cryptocoryne wendtii and Cryptocoryne aponogetafolia (the long plants), but don't quote me on either of those.
Lighting is a double 55W CF unit, plus an ancient 6 foot light unit that holds 2 3-foot tubes. Also, for moody nightime ripply effects of the water when the other lights are off, there's the halogen lights that you can see the torquoise glass shades of over the tank (in the original post). That's just another fine example of Ikea's cool home lighting systems, ceiling mounted pendant lighting.

Martin.

espo

Post by espo » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:27 pm

Great looking tanks Martin. Kudos!
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day,
Give him an aquarium, and he looks for alternative food sources.