sea shells

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

msdolittle

Post by msdolittle » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:55 pm

mikev wrote:
msdolittle wrote: I take my water periodically to a local pet store...they have a good reputation (this is NOT the place I purchased the loaches btw). I'm really new at this so please don't beat me up too much, I'm learning! Nevertheless, I don't know the numbers (ph etc.....) I just have my water tested and they tell me if its okay. Is that naive??
A little yes. Firstly, don't trust any lfs to do things right for you. Much better to check yourself, this way you are certain. Your lfs has testing kits for AMMONIA, NITRITES and NITRATES. You should have them at home, no matter what kind of fish you have.

What your lfs tested was probably Ammonia only, or Ammonia and Nitrites...if they were 0, the store said: OK, but actually it is a bit more complicated.

I'd suggest getting these three kits, and also pH and gH kits. gH is generally less important (except for loaches and some other special cases) and your store may not have it. pH they will have. Check your water yourself and post the results.
Its a fairly new tank, only a month old......I was told to put a bacteria solution in to speed up the nitrogen cycle also....is that correct? I was adding it weekly, and now I'm doing it every two weeks.
Uggh, NO. You should not have any fish unless you have a stable cycle already, and you don't add more bacteria when you have a stable cycle. Don't add any more bacteria and check all the params listed above.
Since the tank is only a month old (JUST at a month) I haven't done a water change yet.
You should, and make sure to use the conditioner, but check the params before doing the water change.

hth.
Okay, let me have it!
Don't worry. lfs' always give lots of "helpful" advices...in my early days I asked if a common pleco is ok for 29g...they told me I can keep two or three in a 10g. :( And this was not the worst advice they gave me.
Okay, I do have a kit....but I don't think its super accurate. I did use it to test for nitrites, chlorine and something else before I put any of my fish in. Then I took a sample to my pet store and had them check it too. I will run some tests tonight.

I should go ahead and stop with the bacteria? What about at water changes, is there anything I need to add at that time other than the conditioner?

Also, what do you think is best......spring water, tap water that has set out or something else? I have bottled spring water...but I'll let you guys tell me if that is okay or not before I use it.

Yes, I noticed most places tell you one pleco for 10g is fine....... I must admit, THAT seemed odd to me considering their size......

I do want to get ONE pleco......advice on that?

And......how do you all feel about skunk loaches?

I can't thank you all enough.......I just hope I'm not too annoying. :wink: I really appreciate the help and for not making me feel too silly. :D
~Angela~

JonGuerriero

Post by JonGuerriero » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:09 pm

Skunks loaches must be in season!!! Have you seen this thread http://www.loachforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=699?

Skunks are fun, but they are pretty nippy and need their space.

mikev

Post by mikev » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:11 pm

msdolittle wrote:Okay, I do have a kit....but I don't think its super accurate.
It is probably the same your lfs uses. The single-strip kit is indeed less accurate and does not test for ammonia, which is important esp. when you start a new tank; it is better to use separate kits even if this is a bit more work.
I should go ahead and stop with the bacteria?
YES. Some "bacteria" sources include ammonia (which is food for bacteria and poison for the fish).
What about at water changes, is there anything I need to add at that time other than the conditioner?
probably not. but run your tests first. ALL tests.
Also, what do you think is best......spring water, tap water that has set out or something else? I have bottled spring water...but I'll let you guys tell me if that is okay or not before I use it.
*Real* spring water is likely to contain lots of minerals that your fish does not need. *Tap* water you should test too (pH, gH,...maybe nitrates just in case). If tap water turns out to be pretty bad, than use Distilled or RO bottled water.
Yes, I noticed most places tell you one pleco for 10g is fine....... I must admit, THAT seemed odd to me considering their size......
oh yeah....
I do want to get ONE pleco......advice on that?
Bristlenose or another small species. See the algae thread for the pictures of my new BNs... IMHO, a brown (non-albino) BN is prettier, but strangely harder to find.
And......how do you all feel about skunk loaches?
Me: very negatively. I'm also negative about Modesta, but IMO skunks are much worse. There is a thread around about skunks, you can see different opinions there.

msdolittle

Post by msdolittle » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:45 pm

Thank you!
~Angela~