Random picture (b. histrionica)

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

JonGuerriero

Random picture (b. histrionica)

Post by JonGuerriero » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:02 pm

There are 3 of these guys in with the Clowns. This guy is clearly the runt of the litter. He has no issue getting to the food, he is just growing slower than his 2 brothers :lol:

I think I may have already posted this one, but here's the 3 of them shortly after coming from the QT.

Last edited by JonGuerriero on Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:57 pm

Cute looking chap! :)

JonGuerriero

Post by JonGuerriero » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:49 pm

Thanks, these guys are one of my favorites although I do think I favor the clowns....and then the yoyos....or maybe the hillstreams......crap I guess they're all my favorites :D

fusQer

Post by fusQer » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:23 am

dude he's probably not grown cuz he has hte wasting disease. if you got htem when they were both the same size, and they both eat hte same amount, and they both get bloated bellies after they eat, then you can probably assume the skinny small one isnt getting his vitamins cuz something in his belleh is eating the food

shari

Post by shari » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:45 am

I don't think he is showing any visible signs of CWS yet...do you have a pic of him from above? Is there any indentation behind the head?

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:58 am

I also agree. Nothing to worry about. The development stages are never the same within loaches in a group. A "runt" perhaps, yes. Not CWS bound though.

Graeme.

JonGuerriero

Post by JonGuerriero » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:04 am

While I do appreciate the concern, I don't think this guy has CWS. It's not that he looks skinny or emaciated, just smaller. Every time I've added multiple fish to a tank like this they grow at different rates.

Can loaches other than clowns develop CWS? Has anybody seen this in other fish?

I will try and get a top down picture of him, but these guys don't seem to be big fans of the camera.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:12 am

The following loaches can be suspects:

Syncrossus
S. Beauforti. S. Berdmorei. S. Helodes. S. Reversa. S. Hymenophysa.

Yasuhikotakia
Y. Eos. Y. Caudopunctata. Y. Modesta. Y. Lecontei. Y. Longidorsalis. Y. Morleti.
Y. Nigrolineata. Y. Splendida. Y. Sidthimunki.

Botia
B. Birdi. B. Dario. B. Histrionica. B. Macrolineata. B. Striata. B. Kubotai. B. Almorhae.

Leptobotia
L. Curta. L. Flavolineata. L. Guilinensis. L. Elongata. L. Hengyangensis.
L. Orientalis. L. Rubrilabris. L. Taeniops. L. Zebra. L. Tchangi. L. Pellegrini.
L. Posterodorsalis. L. Tientainensis.

Parabotia
P. Dubia. P. Fasciata. P. Maculosa.

Sinibotia
S. Superciliaris. S. Pulchra. S. Longiventralis. S. Robusta. S. Reevesae.

Chromobotia
C. Macracanthus.

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:41 am

JonGuerriero wrote: Can loaches other than clowns develop CWS? Has anybody seen this in other fish?
Yes, B.Kubotai is very prone --IME-- and I lost one to CWS (specifically, to a tapeworm --- there is no such thing as CWS, really, it is a symptom of several diseases). I possibly will lose one more. Depending on the severity of the problem, you see only slower growth, or both no growth and loss of weight. B.Kubotai is of course a very closely related species.

I've had the same problem with baby Yoyo's: one out of four did not grow (with baby Yoyo's you see the problem very quickly). Rather than investigating it, I donated it back to the lfs in exchange for the promise that they will put it on anti-parasite meds.

This is not to say that your picture is conclusive about CWS; different rates of growth are certainly possible.
---

I'm still very curious why Pangio and Schisturas (all hillstreams?) seem
exempt.