Dangerous when bored + EVEN MORE Sewellia PICS!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Dangerous when bored + EVEN MORE Sewellia PICS!

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:48 pm

That's me. Because I'm getting stir-crazy :shock: having been stuck here for over a week with this sprained ankle, I keep getting "ideas".

Firstly, may I apologize to all of those people that sent me 8 E-mails this afternoon from 3 different countries. The computer was on.......that was until my "idea" of the day led to me switching some electric plugs around, neatly forgetting one powered the computer.....DOH!

So, what bright :idea: idea did I have today?

The 5 Sewellia lineolata have been doing nicely in the 30 x 12 x 12 quarantine tank. This has a couple of small HOBs on the back and a couple of those little mini powerhead pumps providing some reasonable current.

I had an empty 30 gallon Breeder tank in the closet and it fits nicely on top of the big oak dresser where the Q-tank sits......plus there's room beside it for a 10 gallon.......that would be the 'empty' stashed in the bathroom. Now to set that up as a pukka River-Tank I need an old trusty Aquaclear 802 powerhead, but I'm not in a postion to go spending money at present.

There's one in the 30 high in the lounge.......sitting on a River-Tank manifold....how convenient. An evil plan hatched in my bored brain.
I caught the 15 or so Danio kyathit out of the 30 and put them in with the Clowns and Tiger Barbs in the 6 footer. Now there's TWO shoals of dither fish....nice! Lets the Danios have their legs too.

Caught the Gastromyzon ocellatus, (maybe) G. ridens, Homaloptera smithi and Aborichthys elongatus and put them all into the 65 gallon main River-Tank. The A. elongatus can go nuts digging in there.Now the tank is empty of fish......remove the manifold, and go to bedroom.

Flush out the empty 10 gallon. Syphon water from Q-tank into it and catch the Sewellia, place in tank. Empty the Q-tank and remove. Place 30 Breeder in position, throw in R/T manifold, position powerhead and intake sponge. decant mature gravel from QT into the tank. Add more gravel/sand mix from stock stash, plus a half bag of Estes river stones (around 1/2" size) ....bury R/T manifold. Arrange bogwood, stones Windelov fern and Crypts. Buried a Rena 4" ceramic airstone in amongst rocks in blast from powerhead. Pump in a bit of fresh water, most from the 10 gallon, top off with water pumped from Clown tank. Catch fish from 10, place in newly set up tank. Plug everything in and whoopedo.

Pick up still partially filled 10 gallon and place beside the Breeder tank, across the width of the dresser, so it effectively forms an 'L'. Fill up the tank with water from Clown tank, adjust temperature. Dive into big stock of aquarium equipment and dig out a 1" bore clear plastic U-bend. It's a monster syphon. Fill under water, cap and then bridge both tanks. I added a 5/8" piece of flexible tube as back-up, cable-wrap tied to it. Let syphon equalize tank levels then top up.

Hooked up the largest of the little mini-powerheads to some flexy tube and
placed it in the Breeder tank, other end of hose in 10 gallon, cable-wrap tied to a stone to keep in it position. Plug in powerhead and you have instant circulation between the tanks. So now the Sewellia are effectively living in 40 gallons of water. Stuck the other mini powerhead in the 30 for good measure. The two small HOBs are on the back. I can do water changes without disturbing the Breeder tank.

An hour later, it looked like this....

The Breeder tank (that's B_R_E_E_D_E_R Sewellia, if you're reading) will give these guys more footprint, more decor for cover, more current and aeration.....who knows...maybe they'll get frisky? They will have the tank to themselves.

So now there's a yucked up 30 high sitting in the lounge. So I emptied that, threw in a whole wack of lovely clean black quartz gravel that I shipped from England in 2001 and have never used here. Some bogwood from the 120, some black pebbles which are part of a whole load I shipped with fish stuff when I emigrated also. Filled it up with water from the Clown tank, hooked up the filters, and THEN....finally filled up the Clown tank again. Those guys have had 3 water-changes in 3 days. They must think it's Christmas or something.

I guess this 30 H just became my Q-tank? :?

Martin.
Last edited by Martin Thoene on Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:08 pm

You should sprain your ankle more often. :wink:
Sounds like you were very productive. Now if those Sewellia would only read this forum and figure out what you have in mind for them. :D
By the way, how are the danios and the Tiger barbs getting along?

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:38 pm

Gee thanks Jim. I'll try for a broken neck next time and see if I can get really creative.

I can but hope the Sews get romantic. I was thinking of a little Marvin Gaye maybe? There obviously totally put out by their crazy afternoon....NOT!

Investigating a River-Tank manifold intake sponge for the first time.

Looks like he's lived there for a long time. They are all being REALLY lively, zipping about all over the tank and chasing one another.....hmmmm.

The Tiger Barbs are Ok with the D. kyathit. Sometimes it's two shoals, sometimes one mixed one. A couple of Botia kubotai decided they should join in tonight as well!

Martin.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:42 pm

Well, maybe you don't have to break your neck...perhaps just a splinter or hangnail or something. :wink:
That Sewellia sure looks at home in the new river tank. Just crank up the Barry White and hopefully nature will take its course.

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:41 pm

Not Barry White Jim, but some Sewellia as Art.....these guys are posing nicely, and the new setup offers better backgrounds.

Aren't they just beautiful?

Martin.

avant

Post by avant » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:47 am

Hi Martin!

I love them! haa... :D

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:36 am

Stunning photos Martin :) .

Mark

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:38 am

Beautiful indeed!! :D

Graeme.

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:39 am

Great....I wake up this morning and found one swam through the big syphon tube into the 10 gallon tank last night. Now I have to extricate it and somehow make the tube safe to stop it happening again :? .

Martin.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:16 am

They are beautiful indeed.
I WANT SOME!!!! :cry:

I'm suprised that you didn't hear that Sewellia go "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee" as he rode the roller coaster to the 10 gallon. Wait until he tells the rest of the fish about that. :wink:

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:53 am

Obviously he did Graeme. Another one went through!

So now there's a piece of netting over the inlet. I added a Fluval media bag full of almond leaves to the 10 gallon. Image

Martin.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:44 am

Ermm!

I'm a married man you know!! :oops:

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:15 pm

Graeme Robson wrote:Ermm!

I'm a married man you know!! :oops:
Yeah I know. We have photographic evidence that you are familiar with the ways of luuuuuuurve :wink:

I can hear it now..................Image.............Da-Da...Da-Da......Da-Da...Da-Da....You're my first, my last, my every...thing, the answer to a-a-all my...........dreams.

Martin.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:21 pm

Hahah! :lol:

I'm more this...................

You're walking up with your eyes on me
It's looking good but I just don't know
I need a girl who can keep her head all night long
You didn't come just to see the show
I guess you know what you wanna see
The way you smile lets me know I can't go wrong

I wanna touch you, wanna feel you
I wanna make you mine

I wanna love you all night long
I wanna be with you all night long
I wanna love you all night long
I wanna be with you all night long

I saw you standing down by the stage
Your black stockings and your see-through dress
You mouth is open but I don't want to hear you say good night
Your sort of young but you're over aged
I don't care 'cause I like your style
Don't know about your brain but you look alright

Your mind is dirty but your hands are clean
You show no class but your legs are long
I know I can't stand another night on my own
Hey girl, would you like some wine?
What's you name, are you by yourself?
Are you the one, what do you say can I take you home?

All Night Long, by Rainbow. Classic song!! :wink:

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:38 pm

Ooh, you ole rocker you!

Martin.