Skinny Loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Wendie

Skinny Loaches

Post by Wendie » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:51 pm

Well in my never ending quest for Kuhli Loaches I visited the LFS in the next town. In checking over the tanks I discovered two very pale, very nervous clown loaches which looked in great shape. However, in the tank next to them were 10 very small and VERY skinny skunk loaches. The poor little things had stomachs that almost looked pinched in. They were moving around the tank fairly well though.

Next to them were two Polka Dotted loaches. One looked to be in great shape while the second one was a bit questionable. They were going for 2 for $17.00. Unfortunately since I only have the 10 gallon tank available with juvenile bettas in it, I had to pass them up.

And in the next tank were a small group of Red Tailed Zebra Loaches. They were very active but a couple would be suspect.

At least now I can well understand what you're talking about when you say skinny.

mikev

Post by mikev » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:07 pm

At least now I can well understand what you're talking about when you say skinny.
Actually, this may not be it.

Store conditions are pretty bad for fish, and specifically bad for loaches. When I compare mine with those who stayed at the store, the difference often is drastic. For example, when I got my yoyos, they were skinny 1" or less (2 months ago), now the smallest is above 2", but the yoyos at the store, those that were not sold, are still skinny 1".

Today the store owner dropped by my place (to help with the new hillstreams etc), noticed yoyos in the tank, and asked what kind of fish is that :D

Anyway, a skinny loach at a store is not always bad news...

As for the polkadots, they are actually a great fish, but probably for a 20g rather than for a 10g. Petland should be able to order them, with their higher price polkadots are almost always available.

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:40 pm

This particular store is very good at ordering what you want provided it's on their availability list. Needless to say, the kuhlis aren't. She's had a lot of different loaches in over the past few months.

They really were bad. Even if I didn't know anything about them I would be afraid to buy them.

mikev

Post by mikev » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:44 pm

Skunks? You really don't want them...., good or bad.

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:17 am

I know but I sure liked those polka dotted loaches!!!

mikev

Post by mikev » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:29 am

Yeah, those are one of the nicest...

How big were they? If they were babies (I bought mine as babies, skinny, about 1"), you can put them into a 10g just fine, they grow very slowly. But you'd need more of them anyway.

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:32 am

That thought of needing more crossed my mind and was another reason for not buying them. They were somewhere between 1 and 1 1/2 inches in size. Quite small. One was very active but the other was mainly sitting which made me nervous.

mikev

Post by mikev » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:57 am

When a loach you consider buying seems passive, you can ask a store person to bother it a bit...just to see the reaction. The cause of the "disease" may be simply the store conditions which are never good.

I'd suggest a buy next time you see them...Aside from the parasite problem, B.Kubotai seem to be reasonably stable, don't need a large tank, and peaceful. And they also beg and click! So if you consider any other loaches in addition to khulis, B.Kubotai is one of the best choices out there. And IME they are one of the rare cases when Petland is likely to get you more.

---

PS. Thank you very much for your gift!

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:47 am

It is the distance and conditions on which these fish travel that cause's them to look skinny, not the lfs fault!!

Don't apply your experiences as to everyone else's, Mr V.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:00 am

I agree Graeme.
Fish are starved for a little while prior to shipping, so as not to pollute the water they are shipped in. Ideally the store will quarantine the fish for a few weeks and feed them intensively during this time. They shouldn't put them on sale until they are confident they are healthy. If they don't do this, then you have to ask yourself why are you shopping there?
And remember, not all stores are the same. I am not just defending my store here, as there are plenty of decent stores out there.
I also do not agree with getting a store-person to deliberately 'bother' a fish. Ask them if they can add some food to the tank, yes.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

mikev

Post by mikev » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:24 am

They shouldn't put them on sale until they are confident they are healthy. If they don't do this, then you have to ask yourself why are you shopping there?
And the answer will be Because no better choice is locally available.

The moment you open a store here or someone else opens a store running the way you describe, I'll switch exclusively to this new store, regardless of the price. But the choice right now is between bad and very bad.
And of course, trying to feed the fish is the better approach; reaction to a bloodworm tells you a lot. Petland, however, does not allow this -- I've asked in different branches before; this came up because lots of Petland fish looks questionable. Petland is the local chain for both me and Wendie. Petland is also a far better source of horror stories than of healthy loaches.

hth

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:46 am

So this gives you the right to accuse all other lfs. You seem narrow minded to me.

Have you ever looked at the "Loach Forum Archives".........?

mikev

Post by mikev » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:20 am

Graeme Robson wrote:So this gives you the right to accuse all other lfs. You seem narrow minded to me.
I don't fully understand why you are struggling so hard to create an unneeded argument ....

You perfectly well know that I have not accused "all other lfs". In fact, I mentioned one specific chain. I would not ever comment on stores I've no personal experience with; but I would also not hesitate to comment when I know the issues first hand.

If you think you are familiar with an operation of a store chain local to me better than I am, or if you think that you know the state of my mind better than I am, perhaps you would be kind enough to disclose the sources of your information?
Last edited by mikev on Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:48 am

mikev wrote:I don't fully understand why you are struggling so hard to create an unneeded argumen.....
My apologizes!

It's not MY way.

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:00 pm

Well ... errr.... I got a really good chance to study these guys today as I returned to the scene of the crime!! I don't think they are Polka Dotted but are Botia kubotai. I think they were mislabeled.

Regardless there were three of them and they are now floating around in a bag in with my juvie bettas. They are little cuties. By the time I get the larger tank and install it they will be finished with their quarantine time and they are very small so I think the 10 gallon will be okay for now. I just need to check the water to see what the readings are before releasing them. I can always toss them in with the female bettas in another room. That tank is a jungle and getting them out would be impossible.

Thank goodness the tank was arranged to handle quarantined kuhlis so there are plenty of hiding places are with live plants too so I don't think it will be too stressful for them. I also picked up a small pvc joint at Home Depot yesterday which I'll clean up and place in the back of the tank.