Skinny Loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mikev

Post by mikev » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:20 pm

Congradulations, Wendie, I'm sure you'll enjoy them.
I don't think they are Polka Dotted but are Botia kubotai. I think they were mislabeled.
But Polka-Dotted is a common trade name for B.Kubotai! -- at least this is what Petland calls them. In some other places, Polka-Dotted may mean a Schistura sp....

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:51 pm

Just checked the water 0-0-20 so I changed out a couple gallons and will change the filter media. Put in the pvc pipe so they have three separate places to hide. The areas are so big and they are so small they will probably wind up all together in one of the logs. They are very active in the bag at the moment. Just working around like they would a normal bottom. The tank itself has been established for about 8 months but I have some Bio Spira on hand just in case.

mikev

Post by mikev » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:00 pm

Best of luck.

PVC's don't work for me: every fish here opts for less secure, but more natural place.

Out of curiosity: did you end up taking the one you thought weak?

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:27 pm

Yes, I did because it made up the trio. The third one was hiding yesterday so I didn't even know they had three. They are all small but seem to be very active. They want out of that bag in the worse way right now. I'm adding about 3 oz of water every ten minutes right now. I think they can see the plants and other fish and want out!!!

I thought I would try the pvc pipe. I have two logs in there that the young male bettas enjoy using. I think there might be two males still in that tank as I see a bit of confrontation at times. It's hard to tell at times because my females are fairly long finned too.

mikev

Post by mikev » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:52 pm

Yes, I did because it made up the trio.
Great. Three should do fine; when you see them again, adding 1-2 more will make a really happy family.
I thought I would try the pvc pipe.
Of course, try, and let them choose.
(I still try it with all new fish...but nobody likes it. Not even plecos...)

All right, waiting for your pictures.

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:15 pm

Looks like it will be the log for now. They are all over the back of the tank. Over the log, the plants, the gravel... they haven't stopped for the last 10 minutes. They are climbing the back walls where there's a lot of algae. Digging in the gravel already too.

I'll see how the photos go..

mikev

Post by mikev » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:33 pm

Wendie wrote:Digging in the gravel already too.
You may want to watch where they are going. In my case, they dug a tunnel into a hollow decoration....I had to get rid of it.

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:36 pm

This is the questionable one but he's been very active... took a rest for a couple of minutes

These guys seem to travel together

Dang, I always forget to wash the glass before taking pictures.

mikev

Post by mikev » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:58 pm

Look very nice, congradulations!
Best luck in fattening them!

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:00 pm

Looking nice! :D Best way to fatten them up is Frozen Bloodworm's, they certainly won't turn that meal away. :wink:

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:57 am

I need to think of a new way to feed them. The little piggies in with them are grabbing everything. I did see one grab a blackworm and down that. I do usually keep a wafer in the tank for everyone to nibble on from time to time so they should get something from that.

They are busy and seemed to have settled in. There was a minor battle for the log but then it was settled and they are all using that as their home base. They seem to love the plants and I've seen them laying on the leaves in the back of the tank half way up the side. They run up and down the sides and back glass quite often but that's full of algae.

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:43 am

LOL came out this morning and didn't see a soul. After searching for about 20 minutes I saw one. It turns out that they have dug out a tunnel under the china/whatever log towards the back of the tank. I've seen two now so I'm just waiting for the third one to pop out.

Just adding to this. Found the third one. He apparently dug a hole under the other log and was hiding there. I woke one up earlier and was rewarded with a big yawn!!

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:11 am

Graeme Robson wrote:
mikev wrote:I don't fully understand why you are struggling so hard to create an unneeded argumen.....
My apologizes!

It's not MY way.
Apology noted. Hopefully, this will not happen again. :wink: