Starting with botia rostrata

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

TammyLiz

Starting with botia rostrata

Post by TammyLiz » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:14 pm

Hello everyone! I have been lurking here for a couple of months so I already know you even though you don't know me. I decided to finally speak up because I am hopefully going to be bringing home my first loaches this weekend.

Monday I went into the LFS and saw 2 "Queen botia" that weren't darios. Their stripes were too narrow, and they looked like they were paired. The guy said they had those same two for a few weeks and noone had been interested in them. One has obviouisly been pestering the other one because one was bright and the other was washed out. They were very small, no longer than 2 inches long. They looked like botia rostrata to me. Perfect. So I told him I would be interested in taking them but I didn't want just two. So he is ordering more of them for me. They should be in tomorrow or Saturday.

I was just thinking, though, which can be a problem because I tend to worry. What if they actually do get darios in when they order Queen botia? Would they mix well with these rostrata, and would it still help keep the one rostrata from picking on the other one? Hopefully someone has experience with these two sp. together, or other similar experience. And hopefully they'll just be rostrata! But just in case.

Thanks ahead of time!

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:05 pm

Welcome, TammyLiz!!
Coincidentally, I got my two rostratas in the same way. The whole shipment of tiny "darios" was actually all rostrata.
Even if they don't get anymore rostratas, mixing them in with darios shouldn't be a problem. I have never kept the two species together, but presently have rostratas in with sidthimunki and have kept darios with botias striata and histrionica and sinobotia pulchra, all without any problems. Both species are relatively gentle, with rostrata the milder mannered of the two.
Good luck and welcome to Loaches Online!! :D

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:09 pm

Jim, you keep your S. pulchra in the Botia tank? How long has that been going? What does the shelter area look like? I'd be curious. I have some pulchra in the river tank. I wonder if they would prefer the Botia tank. Your thoughts?
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Mark in Vancouver

Re: Starting with botia rostrata

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:16 pm

TammyLiz wrote:Hello everyone! I have been lurking here for a couple of months so I already know you even though you don't know me. I decided to finally speak up because I am hopefully going to be bringing home my first loaches this weekend.

Monday I went into the LFS and saw 2 "Queen botia" that weren't darios. Their stripes were too narrow, and they looked like they were paired. The guy said they had those same two for a few weeks and noone had been interested in them. One has obviouisly been pestering the other one because one was bright and the other was washed out. They were very small, no longer than 2 inches long. They looked like botia rostrata to me. Perfect. So I told him I would be interested in taking them but I didn't want just two. So he is ordering more of them for me. They should be in tomorrow or Saturday.

I was just thinking, though, which can be a problem because I tend to worry. What if they actually do get darios in when they order Queen botia? Would they mix well with these rostrata, and would it still help keep the one rostrata from picking on the other one? Hopefully someone has experience with these two sp. together, or other similar experience. And hopefully they'll just be rostrata! But just in case.

Thanks ahead of time!

And welcome aboard from me, too! I think all of the true Botias (kubotai, almorhae, striata, dario, rostrata, histrionica...) can mix together with ease if they are in a big enough tank and have the floor space and shelter to take up a bit of territory.

My rule is that if I see mislabeled loaches, and I don't know what they are, I'll grab them. We are lucky to still have shops that import them based on common name from who knows what sources. B. rostrata has never appeared in my area as far as I know.

Good luck with your significant new loaches! Please post photos if that is an option. I'd be terribly excited to find these loaches.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:19 am

Mark;
I have one pulchra in with my kubotai and some sids with no problem and have kept them, as stated above with striata, darios and histrionicas.
They sometimes hang with the botias, but often hide under driftwood or any other tight hiding place. I have always had current with them and they do seem to like it.
I know Martin keeps his in a river tank.IMHO, I think they would do well either place as long as they do have some flow.

TammyLiz

Post by TammyLiz » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:25 am

Wonderful. We'll see what comes in with their order. And yes, I can post pictures. No guarantees on how good they'll be, though! I try but I'm not that great with fish photography.
My tank should be plenty big enough for them. Its a 4 foot, 55 gallon planted tank, currently housing 5 3-spot gouramis that are about 2 1/2 inches, 7 odessa barbs around 1 inch, and a teeny checkered barb that snuck in with the "8" odessas. I feel pretty sure the loaches should be fine in there. Am I right? I have other tanks. Right now the only place they'd be able to hide in the 55 is a coconut shell cave. I could add another of those, too. Would the two caves be sufficient or do they need something a little more "cozy"? I'm hoping they'll be out and about a lot and I want them to feel comfortable. They also might be able to squeeze under my driftwood but the way I have it placed, they'd have to dig a bit.
I'm pretty excited. Sorry if it sounds like I'm blabbing about nothing. :roll:
Thanks for the welcome!

TammyLiz

Post by TammyLiz » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:48 pm

Sad, sad me. They got their order in today, and no botia at all. :cry: I looked in the tank and there were skunks in there with them. The guy said the supplier probably didn't have any more "queens", even though their list said they did.
So I went ahead and broght the two lonely rostrata home. They are in a bucket acclimating now. And threatening to tear each other up! With just the two of them, they might as well tear each other up in my tank instead of in the LFS. I'm hoping once they feel more secure with places to hide they will stop this nonsense. And maybe I'll eventually find some others to keep them company. They look pretty thin but I'll fatten them up. What would you guys suggest I try first? I already have lots of veggies (spinach, zucchini, cucumber) but should I give them something meaty first? I have brine shrimp, too, but anything else I would have to buy.

mikev

Post by mikev » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:55 pm

Hi, Tammy,

You know, maybe one of the first things to do is to post their pictures, just to make sure what you have.

Generally, if you want to make (almost all) loaches happy, dry or frozen bloodworms is the way.

cybermeez

Post by cybermeez » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:27 pm

Based on your initial description my money is on them being rostratas. Like most Botias they'll argue with each other but never really do any harm. They are fun fish and stay pretty small so do grab at least one more if the LFS gets another batch in. They do better socially in groups of 3 or more. My trio likes to tag along with my 3 kubotai too.

Something that may be of help...
In my experience I've noticed they seem to be less tolerant of declining water quality than my other botias. If I skip a water change for one week, they are among the first to show signs of stress.

TammyLiz

Post by TammyLiz » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:54 pm

Thanks Mike, I do have freeze dried bloodworms. I forgot to mention those. A bit off the subject, but my daughter (who is almost 3), dumped most of those into one of my bettas bowls the other day, so I'll have to be getting some more soon. Silly girl. She even threw away the empty container and I had to ask her where she put it so I could brush the pieces off the table back into it. The betta was swimming in what looked like dark tea, or some slightly thing black coffee!

I am pretty sure they are rostrata. I know there are a few that have the narrow bands, but really, these have the little double line from the eye to the mouth, the main color of the body being an off white, not really golden, I think I counted 5 pairs of two narrow black stripes on the body. There are a couple black spots on the upper part of the dorsal fin, and two sets of two spots on the caudal fin, as if they are two incomplete stripes. They are relatively narrow bodied compared to say, a clown loach or a skunk loach.

Hmm...I've been too long I have to go, but I'll see if I can post a picture tomorrow.