salt?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mousey

salt?

Post by mousey » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:51 pm

how do hill stream loaches do with salt in a tank as a permanent thing?
Mouse

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:35 am

You winding us up?

*edit* I cant believe i even replied to this.............%*$£%*

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:52 am

Zero salt for hillstreams. This should be obvious.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

mousey

Post by mousey » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:07 pm

I guess if i think it thru they are no where near salt in the natural state.
However I am trying to build a knowledge base for myself. i have only kept livebeares befor and some hardy tetras( neons, black skirt and glolightes.) they are not supposed to have salt either but if they have a mini cycle in their tanks or have had ich I have added salt with no problems.
I have been told cories can't handle salt and yet some web sites suggest to use it when cycling or treating for ich.
I have read lots and the info out there is contradictory.
My loaches are in with livebeares so I wanted to make sure before i add any salt as a treat.

Also i think the loaches breathe a bit fast. My water parameters are 74 degrees, ph over 8.5, hardness 120, ammonia 0 ,nitrite0, nitrate <20.
All 4 have grown since I bought them 5 weeks ago and are getting fat.

No I am not trying to "wind anyone up." I am seeking knowledge.
Remember there are no stupid questions if you are new to something and trying to learn.

shari

Post by shari » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:31 pm

sorry mousey, salt is not good for hillstreams.

They also need higher current than your livebearers will enjoy, and cooler temps. And high oxygen content in their water...

as for the pH being that high, I don't know if they do well at that level. maybe someone else could address that.

And, no, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. It's good that you are asking. Far better than not asking, imo. :wink:

sully

Post by sully » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:35 pm

As a matter of fact, you mentioned two very good reasons to use salt. As a tank goes through a cycle (large or small) and nitrites climb you should add salt. Nitrites bind to teh hemoglobin of the blood and prevent oxygen uptake--in even the most well saturated instances. The name given to describe the problem is "brown blood disease". The other treatment is obviously water changes to export the nitrites.

The second instance was ich--or some other parasitic infestation. It will often times help in the eradication of ich. There have been reports, however, in peer reviewed research, of ich withstanding even 6 ppm's. And, you do not want to go above that level because you then run the serious risk of dehydration and build up of toxic waste within the fish.

As a day to day thing common sodium chloride has no real place in an aquarium. Even rift lake tanks.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:12 am

Too many "sheep" following the mystical Shepard here!

Listen!
Freshwater fish need.........
Saltwater fish need........

Isn't the English language simple enough to understand. Or are some people talking other?

Yes there is "stupid" questions and the answers are only as "stupid" :wink: