Quarantine New Clown Loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

kwvhii

Quarantine New Clown Loaches

Post by kwvhii » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:45 pm

Hello, I am new to loaches.com. Was curious how long I should Quarantine Clown Loaches for. I have 3 in a 10 gal. QT, which I just emptied the previous inhabitants. My community tank is recovering from ich, and unfortunately my five little loaches didn't make it. I happened onto 3.4+ inch loaches for cheap, I know I can't put them in the main tank regardless, (I have not seen spots for a week now). I don't want to leave them in that little tank, but when is a safe time to start the move, and how exactly can I do that causing the least stress possible if the tanks are in 2 different rooms. I am scared because I don't want to lose these guys, either by cramming them in this little tank or putting them in my main tank.
Also, I have been using coppersafe for over a week for the ich and just finished the 7-day treatment of Melafix.

shari

Post by shari » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:26 am

First, welcome to Loaches on Line. :)

Second, Melafix won't do anything to eliminate ich.

Third, what size is your community tank, what other inhabitants are in there?
What are the water parameters of both the 10 and the community? How did you acclimate your previous loaches (were they also clowns?) and how did you acclimate this bunch to the 10?

As for moving them from the 10...siphon some water from their current tank into a dedicated fish bucket (don't completely fill the bucket, and make sure it's never been used for cleaning anything but fish tanks). Place them in the bucket. Slowly add water from the tank you plan to put them into, to the bucket with the clowns. When the water conditions in the bucket are very close to the conditions in the tank they are going into, net out the clowns into the new tank. It's also often a good idea to clean and rearrange the tank you're putting them into a bit. Causes all the fish to be in 'stake out my territory mode' again, keeping them too busy to bother the new guys much...but this depends on what's in your community of fish. With small non-territorial species it really isn't necessary, imo. Make sure there are some places for the clowns to run and hide in to help them feel secure.

hth

shari

Post by shari » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:33 am

Dang submit button! Timed out on me the first time. Posted again, now there's two... :roll:

kwvhii

Post by kwvhii » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:55 pm

Thanks for the welcome, I have enjoyed all the pictures and posts.

Well, I used Melafix for secondary infection, and Coppersafe to rid of the ich. Is there an alternative you would recommend?

My community tank is 46 gal., consisting of 2 Blue Rams, a Clown Pleco, a Dwarf Puffer, a school of Glowlight Tetras, 3 Dwarf Gourami's, a Bristlenose Pleco and a normal Pleco, (both Pleco's are temporary, holding them for mom, she is getting a larger tank to house them and the Gourami's in a week I think).

Parameters in the Community and the 10 gal. tanks are ammonia and nitrite, 0, and nitrate fluctuates between 5 and 10 ppm. in the Community tank, but is steady at 5 ppm in the 10 gal. The pH is 7.4, -Texas water, was told the pH should be left alone because attempts to keep it at certain level could cause fluctuations, causing stress, etc.
Been doing daily water changes in the 10 gal., (small- 10 % at most), to keep nitrate down, thought about the size of the fish vs. the tank, so I put in 5 ml. of Stress Zyme, (will continue until I can put them in the big tank), and 5 ml. of Stress Coat every 3rd day.

The acclimation of my first loaches, (they were all Clowns, the two largest were about 3-3.5 inches and had the coolest stripes I had seen in person! I have seen some pretty unique ones on the pics here though). I waited about a week, and I used the floating bag, and every 20 minutes I did 50% water replacement, water removed from the bag was dumped in the sink. I used the bag they came in, I left it out to dry inside out first night then fill it up with some prepped change water for next day, drain it and let it dry out again. Scared Ziploc might use some sort of chemical freshener or something.

The bucket transition is a good idea. Will do that, but how long should I wait until adding them?

shari

Post by shari » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:22 pm

If they are ok in your 10 (and it sounds like they will be) I'd wait at least a week to see if anything seems to show up. Ich being the most likely candidate, I'd think. Sometimes clowns will come in with internal parasites also. Watch their appetites, activity levels, general behaviors for a bit, and since the tanks are similar, transition them when they seem to be doing well to you.

Not sure I grok what you mean by 'using the floating bag'...

They should be ok with the fish you have, but be sure there are hiding places for them. The rams have territories staked out? If so, move some things around a bit before you put in the clowns. :wink:

kwvhii

Post by kwvhii » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:51 pm

Crazy. That was a fast response, I didn't think it would be that quick, I was about to go do some homework.
By 'the floating bag' I meant how fish stores say to float the bag in your tank for 10-15 minutes so the temperatures are the same, do a partial water change, wait, then put him in the tank. That is what I was told, didn't think it was very well thought out plan though. I have a fairly good handle on arithmetic, and that partial water change... sure all of how many ounces that are in the bag? Anyways, I did my own research, looking at reliable sources, (a lot here), and feel a lot more comfortable.
About the territories, I removed the driftwood I had in the tank originally, (noticed my last loach not moving in his hiding place), and I am not sure but I think it had an impact on the tank clearing up, because all the spots on all the other fish other than the clown pleco cleared up 1 maybe 2 days later. I haven't put it back in, was looking to make rock caves, but don't really like what is out there, but I do have holes and 1 big cave for right now, and before I put the loaches in there, I am looking for live plants and more cave like structures, so I guess I have a week left to search.
Thanks for the quick response.

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:52 am

I use the floating bag method but usually take a couple hours to complete everything. I noticed you added 50% new water. I usually add only a couple ounces at 10 to 15 minute intervals - less if the bag itself is very small. I remove water from the bag periodically so that eventually I should be dealing with mostly the new tank water.