Ant/termite larvae as interesting food option

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

andyroo

Ant/termite larvae as interesting food option

Post by andyroo » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:46 pm

I seem to have an infestation of wood ants in the cupboard under my tank. Not to worry, as it turns out the eggs and larve are a very popular snack for loaches and gobies alike. Should be high in fats as well.
Everybody going crazy.

They float, so as they get caught in teh filter inflow they get pushed to the bottom one-one. Everybody gets some.

An idea for the gardeners out there, particularly as spring approaches. General enrichment.

Andyroo
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

shari

Post by shari » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:57 pm

FWIE--Just make sure there are no pesticides or chemicals they could have ingested before you feed them to fish.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:19 pm

When I started keeping fish....like around when the Beatles were first popular.....Ant eggs were a fairly standard fair for Goldfish particularly. All the pet shops used to sell them. I would guess fresh ones are much more nutritious.
Many fish species live largely on ants that fall into the waters where they live. Rainbowfish particularly are known to eat them and they may possibly be required in the diet for the fish to show true colours in aquaria.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

sophie

Post by sophie » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:37 am

My fish have always enjoyed ant eggs. I've got a concrete slab in the garden that I'm leaving in the middle of the lawn just so I can lift it up and grab a cupful of eggs now and again :lol:
sophie.
there is no them
there is only us

http://www.duckduckgoosestuff.co.uk