Giant Dianos

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Giant Dianos

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:23 pm

I picked up four of these guys -- about 2" each. They are for my 55 as dithers for my loaches. I will get more when more are for sale. They are a bit hyperactive, and I was wondering if this normal? Right now they are with a 4" Killie and a bunch of mollies in the upper half of the tank. The mollies will go to a friend next week.

The Danios race around the tank, bump into the other fish, bump into each other, . . . act like little crazy fish. Is this normal? I don't see any injuries among themselves or the other fish. For the most part they smack each other. They were together in the tank at the store, and there were only 4. I consider the killie and the mollies to be semi aggressive like the Danios.

They are very pretty fish and look very healthy.

kurtns1220

Post by kurtns1220 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:23 pm

Giant Danios are quite active. My Giant Danios occupy the upper third of my 55 gallon tank. I have not noticed much "smacking" like you are talking about, but whenever I feed them they push their way to the food and always take first dibs. I wouldn't say they attack or hit other fish, but my Harlequin Rasboras stay away from them during feeding time. I was wondering about your killifish that you mentioned was 4" long. Is it a Blue Gularis? How does it do in the community tank? I've never kept a killifish in a community tank, so I'm curious how they get along.

As far as the smacking goes, I think you're okay if you don't see any injuries. My Giant Danios and Zebra Danios chase each other all day and it's fun to watch, although I wouldn't call it smacking.

Kurt

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:40 pm

Maybe being generous, I would say the Danios are playing tag. :) Smack! You're it!

I think the Killie is a Golden killie, but I am not 100% sure. I don't trust my killies with small fish like neons. He is a voracious eater, and he has nipped me during feeding time. Doesn't hurt. He wasn't serious. Just excited.

I don't mind if the Danios are chasing each other. I just want to make sure everyone is enjoying the chase. I don't know these guys well enough to know. I have had zebras, but these are even more active.

I'll spread the food to make sure everyone gets some. The mollies are pretty food oriented. Must be one of the most voracious eaters. :)

arny

Post by arny » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:40 am

my pearl danios do the same thing you described i guess thats why danios make such good dithers

Hokum

Post by Hokum » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:17 am

Are they rubbing off objects in the tank at all? I have wcmm and glowlight danios which have been "itchy" since i got them. Diana suggested velvet could be the cause but my fish seem healthy?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:38 pm

Thankfully, they just bump each other. THey are not rubbing on the decor. None of my fish are flashing. I am very grateful. I have four fish in quarantine, because they do not feel well. I don't want any other fish not feeling well.