Feeding fry -- vacation problem

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Katy

Feeding fry -- vacation problem

Post by Katy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:13 pm

Well, out of town anyway. They are hard to count, but we suddenly have somewhere close to a billion fry (mostly Danio Kyathit, now with some apistos and Kilis and maybe even some rasboras), and a bunch of adolescent CPDs, and it turns out we will both be out of town at the same time, for about 5 days total. Does anyone have any experience using automatic feeders for fry food? Clearly the BBS are out, but something like First Bites?

Currently we have fry and near fry in 5 different tanks! Oops! Is there an acronym for this, like MTS?????? Not sure how they all got in the mood at the same time.....

Appreciate any suggestions

glenna

Post by glenna » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:06 pm

sounds like Multiple Frye Syndome to me!!!
IT certainly is a dilemma.
If you could only find a "tank sitter" while you are gone. It would be pretty labor intensive to train a fish-naive person, but may be worth it. I have a dog sitter who stays in the house when I am gone and has to put up with a million post-it notes on all the tanks with measuring devices for the food. She also has to deal with a couple of phone calls per day (from me!!!! - th fish are a lot less demanding)

I know your fish will likely spawn again, ....still, hate to see the babies get eaten.
glenna

EdwardN

Post by EdwardN » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:28 pm

A lot of well seasoned floating plants in a good light will provide your fry with sufficient food for a few days .....