How not to rehome Betta coccina

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

afroturf

How not to rehome Betta coccina

Post by afroturf » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:23 pm

I'd never kept any kind of betta before, but when I saw some Betta coccina I had to have some.

They'd been housed in a tank measuring 30"x15"x15" which I reciently thought was rather spacious for 5, inch long fish and thought It would be be betta (sorry) used as hillstream tank and decided to move them to a 24"x12"x12" tank.

So today was moving house time I cought the 5 of them which took about 45 seconds, must be the easiest fish to catch in the world. Then gradually introduced them to the new tank, I knew that bettas have jump too them had the previous tank tightly covered their new tank was only 3/4 filled with water and didn't really think to immidiatly cover the tank. I then left them to settle in I came back 10min later to check on them and immidiatly saw one on the floor quickly picked him up dusted him down and put him in the tank, I turned the light back on and I could only see 3 in the tank quickly searched the floor i found 1 more just clinging to life, I looked all over for the 5th one. The tank is in a spare bedroom, the last place I looked was under the bed and there he was a good 6ft away from the tank covered in dust I thought he surely can't be alive I gently picked him up and to my surprise he immidiatly tried jumping out my hands.

All 5 are back in the tank with a nice tight lid, I just hope all 5 can pull through their move from hell.

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:44 pm

That is a group of very active fish!
Are they less territorial than B. splendens? Are they all female?

Could they have already begun claiming territory and be evicting the losers?
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

afroturf

Post by afroturf » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:46 am

Diana I've never kept B. splendens but my coccina aren't very territorial, you oftern get them flaring at each other and the odd bit chasing but nothing very aggresive. I had 3 males and 2 females unfortunatly one of the five have now died, a male one so I now have 2 females and 2 males, these for seem ok now though.

I found the reason the didn't like the new tank. I had moved the heater with them with out realising it was one without a thermostat so the water would have been heated to a higher tempreture than it should have been due to the new tank being just over half the capacity of the old one.

AyeZer

Post by AyeZer » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:36 pm

Betta coccina are wonderful household companions. They are easy to take care and are not high maintenance species. It is advisable to house them in pairs to avoid boredom and loneliness.

Last edited by AyeZer on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cup

Post by Cup » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:19 pm

Not to worry--every wild betta enthusiast has shared your experience at one point or another.

Coccina are actually well known in betta circles as being well suited for life in small tanks, due to their demeanor, hardiness, and behavioral biology in the wild. A pair can be housed in a 2 gal, a small group, in a 5.