green severums

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

tropical cat

green severums

Post by tropical cat » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:54 pm

hi

just got 2 green severums last week. One is bigger then the other one but not by much about 1cm bigger. they are about 8 - 10 cm. the bigger one always picks on the small one and im not to sure what i should do. they are in a 55 gallon with some red spot rainbow's.

any help would be much aprecieated.

zenins

Post by zenins » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:35 am

Hi there tropical cat,

I have kept severums for many years and have seen this behaviour before.
The larger one is just reasserting its dominance.
This behaviour may continue for another week, but should subside.
If it does not subside, then add some more plants or wood or rocks in the tank to give some hiding places - so the smaller one can hide out of sight once in a while to rest.
If this is not possible then move one of the severums to another tank.

Good Luck, they are awesome, usually calm fish :)

Zenin

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:02 pm

I have one gold severum who I now keep in a tank on his own as he just would not stop bullying any tankmates. Hope you are luckier with your severums!

Val
Better the chaos of creativity than the tidiness of idleness.

tropical cat

Post by tropical cat » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:27 am

hey thanks for that guys/girls they have stopped bulling and both of them are hanging out in the corner. i knw this sounds abit weird but i think they are breeing already because they are showing signs of mateing behaviour such as tail slapping one another and protecting this one coerner. one will go out and feed or be social and the other one protects the corner.

any thoughts?

MTS

Post by MTS » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:14 pm

I brought home two severums several months ago and the larger one doesn't seem to like the smaller one in his area. I don't know their sexes but I haven't seen any mating behavior. I've heard they will kill other fish when protecting their fry. I hope I don't have a pair.

Here is a picture I took a couple months back of one with my blue acara and one of the loach group. Most pictures I take of this tank don't turn out very well.

tropical cat

Post by tropical cat » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:53 pm

hello sorry i havn't been on this site in ages. they did pair off and breed but i didn't get any fry. i dont think the male fertilised them but they did protect the eggs very well they have had about 4 spawns but all unsuccesful. every third day all the eggs dissaper and the female is up near the filter an f she comes down the male chases and bites her. about 2 weeks later they pair up again and breed. any reason why they would do this?