Woodland moss

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

FishyLady

Woodland moss

Post by FishyLady » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:28 pm

I picked a few pieces of woodland moss today can I use this in my shrimp tank?

Val

Bully

Post by Bully » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:59 pm

All my instincts say no :) I am certain it would not survive fully submersed. You can collect fallen Oak and Beech leaves though, and your shrimp would be very appreciative of them :)

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:45 pm

If this is similar to what we have here, then, no it will not survive submerged for long periods. Dense green cushion, grows on almost any surface from soil to bark to concrete, as long as it is shaded and damp. Has small thin brown fruiting bodies. Here, it mostly goes dormant in the summer, our summer is one long, hot dry spell.
Closer to the coast, and highly likely in the UK it stays green a lot longer.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:43 pm

Yes, you described it exactly, oh well, shame though I like it more than java moss!!

Val

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:52 pm

You can make a dense branch of Java Moss:
Start with a clean, damp branch. Lay Java Moss on the branch, spreading out as much as you have as flat as you can on the branch. Using black thread tie the Java moss onto the branch. If you start at one end, wind the thread around the branch in a tight enough spiral to hold the moss securely to the branch. Mist as needed to keep the moss damp as you work.

Put the branch in the tank where the light is good. The moss will attach to the branch, and begin to grow. As it grows you can trim it, almost like mowing it to make it grow dense and tight to the branch.
I have seen a branch with moss like this sticking out of the water a couple of inches. The moss is OK, this was an open top tank, so there was always humidity rising, and the branch stayed wet.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!