considering algae eaters - pleco, snails, Hillstream loach

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

jenricae

considering algae eaters - pleco, snails, Hillstream loach

Post by jenricae » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:01 pm

Just working on the stock for my planted 36g tank and was thinking about what sort of algae eater to add.

So far i've been considering:

* Apple snails
* Nerite snails
* Bristlenose pleco
* Tiger/candystriped pleco (Peckoltia vittata)
* Hillstream loach

I hear that the BN is a great eater, but kinda boring. Snails might be a low maintenance route to take. the Candystriped pleco looks cool, but i'm not sure how it does in terms of taking care of algae in the tank. Same goes for the Hillstream loach.

feedback?

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:00 pm

* Apple snails So so for algae, get too big for this tank, tend to escape.
* Nerite snails The best option! Some are rather colorful, too. I have the striped ones in a tank with Dojo Loaches and the snails are fine so far.
* Bristlenose pleco Tank is a bit small. OK for a juvenile, but better if you can move him up to a larger tank as an adult. Not that A bristlenose cannot live in 36 gallons of water, but the bioload of one BN will severely limit the reast of the fish load.
* Tiger/candystriped pleco (Peckoltia vittata) Not so good for algae, they like wood.
* Hillstream loach I would not class this as a good fish for algae control. More of a showy fish that you set up a special tank to display.

Suggestions:
Up to 4-6 Otocinclus. Small, soft water, great for algae control even on plant leaves.
(1) Rineloricaria: Cool water fish. Does not eat brown algae (diatoms) but will eat green sorts of flat, stuck on algae.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

jenricae

Post by jenricae » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:20 pm

Thanks for the reply.

How are Nerite snails with yoyo loaches?

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:52 pm

Most Loaches will pester snails, nip at their exposed antennae and other parts until the snail is scared to come out, and they die. I am surprised they are working out with my Dojo Loaches. I would not try it with Yoyo Loaches. IME Yoyos are more aggressive, and might very well kill the snails.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!