Buying bamboo

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

andyroo

Buying bamboo

Post by andyroo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:16 pm

Folks,
Wondering: can you buy bamboo for your aquarium? Or do you have to a) source it at another DIY or garden shop or go out and chop your own?
Is it expensive as compared to, say, bog-wood, slate or PVC?

Can one buy the (dead, decorative) bamboo roots?
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:25 pm

The larger bamboo grows in more tropical areas than the San Francisco Bay Area, so, for me, I would have to find a source, probably on line.

For you, Andy, you might find some growing somewhere on Jamaica. If you can find some in someones garden ask if you can cut just one piece. Cut it pretty close to the ground and take it home to cut up into lots of pieces.

If you want to grow it, then dig out a young stemwith its roots that is near the outside, and be very careful. The new growing points start underground, growing away from the main plant, and this is the part you really want.
http://www.bamboogarden.com/Phyllostach ... ifolia.htm
scroll down to the 2 pictures of young stems, with the leaves not yet formed .
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:44 pm

We've got 4 species (that I know of) on-island, all of which are introduced and/or invasive. A vine, a skinny garden version, a bigger nearly structural one and a bulletproof monster.
I've had a bunch of sections of the monster in my tank for a couple of years now and it's performing very well. Fish nibble on it and it's getting slowly skinnier, bit it's still structurally solid.

I'm just interested if bamboo is available in the larger pets industry, as it doesn't seem to be. Is there a reason? Does it have a bad reputation for some reason? Personally I love the stuff.... and so do my fish (apparently).
:)
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:27 am

I have seen the larger ones cut into half tubes for reptiles.
Might be 3" to 6" diameter, and several inches to a foot long.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:40 am

I can get Bamboo in numerous Chinese stores in Toronto at very reasonable prices and in different sizes.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.