I have babies!!!

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

glenna

I have babies!!!

Post by glenna » Fri May 28, 2010 7:41 pm

Well, I got home from work and was checking out my Qtank and noticed all these tiny little things on the front glass. I thought, darn, now I have snails here too. However, they are NOT snails, but tiny little fishes sucking up and down on the glass (and I mean LITTLE...I had to put on my reading glasses to verify).
I have had about 8 ottos and 2 starry night plecos in there almost six weeks, going through their meds and now this!
I am not sure what to do now... they were done with meds and all the adult fish look healthy, and I am afraid they will eat the babies. I mean these are TINY, TINY little fishes. On the other hand I do not have another qtank to house the adults and babies in separate tanks.
I am sure they are baby ottos since the plecos are barely two inches long.
Still, this is VERY exciting! I almost feel like a "mom"!
glenna

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri May 28, 2010 8:51 pm

Congrats, Glenna, and yes, adult fish commonly eat fry. Any little bite of protein that comes their way.

I would move the adults to another tank. They can handle the stress of the move better than fry.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Katy

Post by Katy » Sat May 29, 2010 8:02 am

Hooray!!!!!

Your Otos did "pop" :D

At least up north here, yard sale season has begun. Maybe you could go out today and find a nice q-tank cheap :)

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat May 29, 2010 11:52 am

That's very exciting! On another forum a guy's otos spawn regularly, I don't think the adult otos eat the babies but the plecs might. Here's a link to his looong journal on the tank http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=194151

He feeds microwaved zucchini & some other foods as I recall. Good luck!

glenna

Post by glenna » Sat May 29, 2010 1:49 pm

thanks, all.... it is VERY fun, I just hope I can keep them alive.

yeah, it looks like another tank is in my NEAR future!

I am SO excited to have these little surprises and YES NancyD, they do love the zuchinni which I have been feeding the adults for a while now. I tried broccoli, but noone would eat it. I put a media bag on the HOB filter intake to keep them from getting sucked up in the filter, but I am sure there are some in there already since they are so small and the holes on the intake are pretty big compared to them.
glenna

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat May 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Cool! 8)