HELP! E heim 2215 info

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Angelfish12

HELP! E heim 2215 info

Post by Angelfish12 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:02 am

I am setting up a 55g planted tank in a few weeks. The filter I am using for it is a classic E heim 2215. I heard there are two ways to use it. With the biomax and sponges or just the sponges. I would like just to use the sponges because it is cheaper. Any advice on using them? When would you replace the sponges? How often would you clean them? WOuld you put 4 or 5 sponges in the E hiem. All advice would be helpful!

Thanks

waterfaller1

Post by waterfaller1 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:54 pm

I have used 2215's on 20 gal tanks, and have a 2217 on a 29 gal presently, and a 2215 on a 15 gal. That's not a whole lot of flow for a 55 gal tank. What will you be keeping in the tank?
Keep Smiling :>)~ Carole

monicalovefish

Re: HELP! E heim 2215 info

Post by monicalovefish » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:23 pm

With the biomax and sponges or just the sponges. I would like just to use the sponges because it is cheaper.

I have an Eheim 2215 and I use bio media in it as well as the sponges. The blue foam stuff is easier to rinse out so you'll find that pretty reusable. The hollow media ceramic rings pick up a whole lot of stuff. I usually just rinse them out in regular water. I prefer the Seachem Matrix for my bio media.

When would you replace the sponges?

I probably replace the blue sponge every three months or so. I've found that the Fluval FX5 Fine Filter Water Polishing Pad is the exact same size as the eheim ones and WAY cheaper. I dump the fine pads once a month - they become horrible and pretty gross. They will be a disaster by the end of the month.

How often would you clean them? WOuld you put 4 or 5 sponges in the E hiem.

To be honest, I can't imagine a filter full of just sponges. You'd be replacing them constantly - you'd probably be better off filling it with that stuffing they use for pillows. It's cheap and you can probably just put a sponge on top to avoid having loose threads flow into your tank. I prefer the bio media in my canister but maybe someone else has had experience with this. I'd be concerned about slowing down water flow.