Pleco Zucchini Salad

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Pleco Zucchini Salad

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:04 pm

I fed my big Plecos lots of zucchini last night knowing that today I will do a big water change.

My baby pleco. She has red highlights and only 6".

I was very surprised to find my Synodontus Euruptus chomping on the zucchini. It didn't occur to me that the S.E. would like zucchini. I also fed algae wafers, shrimp and shrimp pellets. All the fish have big bellies, so I am pretty sure everyone eats well, even though I seldom see some of the fish eating.

vealboy

Post by vealboy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:17 pm

Cool Pics!

This may sound strange, but other than cutting the zuchinni, did you do anything to it before putting it in the tank?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:40 pm

They got half a zucchini, which was also cut in half. The rest of the zucchini went in my other tanks. I put all the zucchini halves and slices into a bowl of purified water. Then I zapped it in the microwave for 1 minute (the zucchini was thicker than my wrist), cooled it with running water, and then I put all the pieces in the water weighted down with forks. I have a really big Pleco that sits on the cucumber and doesn't share, so I put in more than one piece so everyone else gets some.

Of course, the picture is of Pleco processed zucchini. :)

vealboy

Post by vealboy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:48 pm

Thanks, I may give that a try. I know my Pleco and clowns love broccoli so I'm sure they will love zucchini!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:30 pm

I feed them zucchini and cucumbers, and they absolutely love them. They almost sit up and beg, when they see me walking in fron tof the tank with the zucchini. I try not to give them this treat too often, because of water quality. Once or twice a week.

Don't forget to clean the seeds out or remove them from your filter.

vealboy

Post by vealboy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:50 pm

OH, good call!! I didn't think about the seeds.

andrea147

Re: Pleco Zucchini Salad

Post by andrea147 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:56 am

I have 5 gibbiceps (sailfin pleco) that I routinely feed with raw Hillhurst Sunnyside sliced cucumber. They love it. I used to blanch the slices but found it unnecessary. I just cut a few more slices when making salad and drop the slices into the tank.