2 Rubberlips in a 29 gallon?

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

2 Rubberlips in a 29 gallon?

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:08 pm

Hello,

I wanted advice about having two rubberlips in a 29 gallon tank. They are two varieties. Would that work out okay with lots of hiding places? I have had one for about 2 years and the other about 6 months. Both are well behaved and show their stubborn streak, but don't bother the fish in their tanks.

The 29 has mollies, a few small loaches (Sids, Kuhlies) Cories and a couple glass catfish. One rubberlip lives in a coconut cave and the other one lives behind the filter intake.

Will that work? Thanks.

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:04 pm

Some Loricariads are more territorial than others. If the one has a favorite spot that is not centered in the tank then I would try adding the other, with his favorite cave on the other side of the tank.
Here is a link to the genus most often called Rubberlip.
Try C. aff. milesi
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/ge ... _id=26#407
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:25 pm

Thanks Diana,

The one that lives in the 29 lives in a hut. The one I want to move to the 29 lives behind the intake. I was thinking about moving all the huts and turning off the lights when I move the new guy in. I don't want to stress anyone out, but the tank the other rubberlip lives in is too small. I am sure it isn't comfortable. Once I move the new guy in, I should have two extra huts, so everyone has a choice, and I guess I better keep a close eye on them. I want everyone comfortable and happy.

Thanks again.

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Sounds like a good plan.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:31 pm

Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:34 am

I finally took the plunge and combined my rubberlips. So far so good. It has been 5 days, and no major problems. The original Rubberlip has decided that a cave and a hut is his. He bounces between the two everytime another fish goes near. I swear the other fish do it on purpose to bug him. Reminds me of two kids sitting in the backseat of the car touching each other's sides.

The cories and sids seem to be tag teaming him, and you can almost hear them giggling.

The new Rubberlip is in the plants in the back of the tank. This is the fish that always hid behind the filter intake, so this is an improvement, and her colors have improved dramatically and she comes out to eat. I see no torn fins on any of the fish. I see a lot of feinting, not actually attacking.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:06 pm

I would say having the two rubberlips together is a success. They do not associate, but both seem to be happy and well adjusted. The original inhabitant is gray with tiny black spots. Very pretty. He is still guarding his cave and his hut, and the other fish keep pushing the limits of his territory, but there are no injuries. I am sure it is a game.

The second, secretive rubberlip is out more and really showing her colors. I never knew she was a nut brown with tiny black dots all over, including her nose. She has no aggression, no territorial needs. She is lovely.