Moving question

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

TayHudson

Moving question

Post by TayHudson » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:01 am

When it comes time to move my fish into their new tank, what will be the best, least stressful way to do it? I can never find Houdini(Plecostomus) unless he makes himself visible. I have 2 pieces of wood that the loches have taken over. im not 100% sure I want to relocate the wood into the new tank either.

Also, how long after they've been moved would it be safe to add a few new fish? Would it be ok to add maybe 4 more loaches? I was thinking maybe a YoYo loach? And maybe some Platys?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:29 am

The BN is probably in your wood somewhere. Make sure you take the wood. The fish like it, it makes them secure. I have wood in all my tanks. Lots of Pleco type catfish must have wood in their diet. Whenever you take wood out of your tank like to clean the tank or move it to a new tank, make sure there are no fish in the food. I have been 2 hours into cleaning a tank to suddenly hear "plop" as a fish dislodges itself from the wood into the bucket the wood is sitting in. Luckily the fish have all survived.

Also make sure all your fish are able to get out of the wood when needed. I have had to cut three fish lose from wood or decorations when they have lodged themselves in. In each case it took me hours. If you have any holes they could get stuck in, open the holes now.

The longer you wait before you add fish, the better chance of not crashing your tank you will have. I wouldn't add any more fish for 4 months. If you get loaches, almost all species like to be in a group of 6 or more. Consider some of the smaller species like sids or Striata.

TayHudson

Post by TayHudson » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:03 am

Sids as in http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... catid=1587 ?

What is the other fish you mentioned?

TayHudson

Post by TayHudson » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:03 am

arny

Post by arny » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:40 pm

yes thats both fish. these are both pictures of juveniles as well. look on this website for pictures as this site is very good for showing the different stages of pattern development as the fish grows.

arny

Post by arny » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:46 pm

if you want 4 more loaches i would stick to the clowns as they like to be in as big a group as you can provide.
also its better to add more of the same species as they need less space for different territories. for example if you had 1 of many different species you could fit less fish in as they would all need a seperate terratory where as if you had many of 1 species you could fit more fish in the same space as they tolerate each other a lot more.
i hope this makes sense.

glenna

Post by glenna » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:05 pm

I think clowns are going to be too big for a 40 gallon tank....even a few of them.
Striata are VERY lovely, active loaches and only get about four inches long. GREAT in a group (then, they won't hide so much)!
glenna

TayHudson

Post by TayHudson » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:08 pm

It does make perfect sense.

So down the line (months obviously) would it be wise to add some different Loaches including the Clowns??

I love the Kuhli's and YoYo's. And I'm sure I'll will have to buy them in groups also. Right??

I would like to keep the same species so they won't have to fight like you mentioned.

Is is alright to add more Tetra's or maybe some Rasbora's?

I feel like I'm asking the same questions. I'm sorry if I'm being repetative.

arny

Post by arny » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:47 am

all the fish you have mentioned are best in groups (6 or more).

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:17 am

Loaches are certainly better in groups of their own species but it's important to keep in mind the adult size of the fish you're putting in. Your clown loach would ideally need a tank no shorter than 6 foot in length as it grows (even that seems too small to my mind). Even yoyo's I think are too big for a 40 U.S. gallon tank. Khulis would definitely be an excellent choice and get a group of 15 or similar. They are fantastic fish. Botia striata are also excellent but I wouldn't put more than 6 in that tank. You might get away with a few more sids. As for the clown loach, unless you're planning a major tank upgrade some time fairly soon, I think the best thing you can do for it would be to find a new home for it.

(I should mention that I went through a similar process when I first started keeping fish and it's taken me a few years to get up to a tank size suitable for the fish I keep.)
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:14 am

I agree with all above. When you add fish, I would add more of the dithers you already bought. As I remember you only got 3 of each and you should have about 6 of each. It is good they are all schooling together,

THe clowns will outgrow the 40 in time. Kuhlies would work very nicely and they are fun and inexpensive. I buy them at Petsmart, and often get three different species when I am buying Pangio oblata. The atore people don't know the difference.

I have even picked up kulies out of the feeder tanks.