What kind of Pleco??

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

TayHudson

What kind of Pleco??

Post by TayHudson » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:32 pm

Houdini looks like a Bristlenose Pleco to me . . this is the best comparison I've been able to find online. When I bought him it didn't say what type he was. And I was too stupid to ask. Lol.

Am I correct??

It's so hard to get a decent photo of him.

The photo on the right I found on Google. The left is Houdini (obviously, lol)

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:22 am

I am no expert, but he looks like my cool Bristlenoses. And you'll find out if Houdini is a girl if she is a Bristlenose with no or small bristles.

Here's an excellent catfish site: http://www.planetcatfish.com/ but I find it overwhelming for identification.

How big is Houdini? That may help with an ID. Is he still growing? My Brsitlenoses like Houdini are 3" for the female and 4" for the males, and they are adults. My normal BN are about 5-6".

TayHudson

Post by TayHudson » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:35 pm

I have a feeling that Houdini might be a lady bristlenose. Might need a name change, lol. Any suggestions??

I checked out that site, very helpful. And yes, identification is very hard. Thanks for the input tho. Much appreciated :)

I just took a bunch of close up shots since but none with a ruler for size reference. I would never try to take "her" I suppose out of the tank to do so. I'll have to try next time she cleans the glass and I catch her. Lol.

sorry for the way my tank looks so close up. lol

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:49 pm

I think Houdini is a great name for a girl. It took my boy bristles a long time to ge their bristles. You may still have a boy. :)

glenna

Post by glenna » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:42 pm

look at that fat belly!!!
Now THAT is a happy pleco! (bristles, or no!)
glenna

TayHudson

Post by TayHudson » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:53 pm

Hahahaha. I love his or her fat belly, it was cracking me up when I was taking these pictures.