Proper animal care- pet store issues

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Oldfish

Post by Oldfish » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:47 pm

This is a problem that we have brought on ourselfs.Years ago aquarium shops were owned by successful hobbist sharing their hobby.Then chain pet stores and later the internet came into the picture.The old style shops could not compete with their pricing and are nearly gone. If you have a good LFS Please support it.Don't go to the internet to save a few bucks then go to the shop for free advice.Or window shop for fish and then buy off the net.Reward them for doing things right.Spent money with your good local shop and it may stay around.

Flotsam&1Jetsom

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:51 am

I think it's disgraceful the way people treat aquatic animals. At one of my l.f.s, which is a pets@home, the staff know absolutely nothing about the products they sell. I could literally buy 16 Bala sharks for my 5 gallon tank and none of them would bat-an-eyelash.

Also, they have a Blind Cave Tetra in one of their random, ich-infested tanks and they don't want to sell it because they believe it's a diseased, deformed fish LOL

ALL their herbivore fish are starving to death each time I go in. So many plec and catfish must die in that place. Last time I went in their I rescued 2 otto catfish who are now happily living in their home, after being treated for ich.

I have yet to go to any of my 3 l.f.s' and find a staff member who knows something about fish other than 'that one needs a heater and that one doesn't'. It's very sad. :(
Do You Like Fish Sticks?

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:24 am

Walked into the pet store 2 days ago, beautiful red betta COVERED in ich. 3 (Or more) others, on display, dead. The bottom of their little cus are covered in waste.

Blind caves...in an ich tank!!!!! Thats awful. The way they grow skin over their eyes is normal!!!

Current betta count...Too many. :P