Bristlenose Fry Observation

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Bristlenose Fry Observation

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:22 pm

My albino Bristlenoses have finally spawned, and so I have three litters of BN fry right now ranging in age: 2 weeks old, 6 weeks old and 4 months old. I have found about 40 Albino Bristlenose fry on the glass, and out of those about 5 are normal coloration (or at least as well as I can tell since they are 1/2 inch). I am assuming that means that both of the albino parents must carry a reccessive gene for normal coloration. I will keep an eye on the new fry and see how they develop.

sandsea

Re: Bristlenose Fry Observation

Post by sandsea » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:23 am

hey congrats. are these the type that only grow a few inches long? i have a brown long finned bristlenose. he is a year and only a few inches long. with his long flowing fins he's closer to 3 inches. i love how small he is. do you want to get rid of one of the brown ones? i'd love a buddy for mine and i am in the tampa area too. :)

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:32 pm

Hi there,

Right now my brown and white BN adults are about 4" for the Males and 3" for the Female. I consider that pretty small. My albinos are also breeding, and I think the albinos may be the regular size. I hope to buy some veiltail albinos in the near future. You should post a picture of your veiltail. I bet it is very pretty.

If you are local, you should plan to attend the big auction on January 22 at 10 AM at USF. This is a once a year event and the prices and fish variety should be excellent. I intend to auction off some BNs. http://tbas1.com/TBASpages/auction2010.html

Have you been to the TBAS meetings. Next one is Jan 10 at 7:30 at the Florida Aquarium.

sandsea

Post by sandsea » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:26 am

i took a little movie of my long finned, but the batteries were too low to get it on my pc! i'll have to recharge and try again tomorrow. he moves fast so a picture wasn't going to work. he is really beautiful.
i have school on monday nights so i couldn't go to the tbas. i have never been to either of those, but a lady from the tbas forum who answered an add i had for my black bar endlers, came over to my house :) that's as close as i got. i was giving fish away because i have too many. but i would like a buddy for my bristlenose, maybe i'll go to the usf thing that you mentioned. i live in palm harbor so it's so of a long drive though

sandsea

Post by sandsea » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:37 am

when he was on the glass i put my finger up to his body, he is for sure no more than two inches, BUT, he fins make him APPEAR very long. i mean his actual body is only two inches long.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:35 am

I look forward to seeing the pictures/movie when you ge them uploaded.

According to the president of TBAS there will be over 400 bags of fish at the auction, so it will be worth the trip. We have members who come from Sarasota, Orlando, Hernando, and lots of people from Pinellas County. It's a great fish club, so worth the trip.

When I lost my albino veiltail, she was 6" with her fins and gorgeous.

sandsea

Post by sandsea » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:29 pm

would u sell me one of your small females? or would my boy get along with a boy too? it's a 20 gallon long, planted.

sandsea

Post by sandsea » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:23 pm

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:23 pm

That is a very pretty fish. I hope to find some more long-finned BN.