How do I replace my filter/Amano Shrimp compatibility

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Flotsam&1Jetsom

How do I replace my filter/Amano Shrimp compatibility

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:41 am

I have a 'Stingray-15' filter, which I want to replace with a 'Fluval U-1' filter. But how do I do that? I know it takes almost a month for a filter to mature.

The Stingray is not doing the job at all. It just simply isn't sucking in any water anymore, yet plenty is being distributed from the top; which I know sounds odd. There are so many suspended solids just drifting about in my tank. I really want to put in a better filter for my fishes. How do I do it?

Also, eventually, I want to get some amano shrimp for my java moss, but are they compatible with dojo loaches?

Cheers to anyone who repsonds.
Do You Like Fish Sticks?

waterfaller1

Post by waterfaller1 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:11 am

I would get the new filter, put the bio-media & padding for the new filter in a mesh bag and float it in the tank for several weeks until it is seeded with bacteria. Put it near an area that receives some flow, maybe near a bubblestream from an airpump.Then remove the old filter, and set up the new using the media that has been seeding in the tank.. You could even reverse the process once you set up the new filter. Put the old filter media in the bag for a few more weeks and let it float. Good sized amano shrimp should be fine with the loaches.
Keep Smiling :>)~ Carole

Flotsam&1Jetsom

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:16 am

Well, that was a wonderfully quick and easy reply!! =]

Thank you very much :)
Do You Like Fish Sticks?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:39 pm

I would use both Filters. Once the new one is running properly, I would take the old one apart and clean it, then set it back up and run both of them on the tank. I am pretty sure your tank is too small for the bioload and the more filtration you have the happier your fish will be.

As for Amano Shrimp, the weather loaches may decide they are a great snack or they will ignore them. You don't mean for your Amano Shrimp to eat the Java moss right? Just to hangout in it. I am not sure if I misunderstood. My Dojos sleep in a matt of java moss along with my eels. They love it.

Flotsam&1Jetsom

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:32 am

I am worried about the bioload I must admit :?
But my water quality is fine, no ammonia or nitrites and just a hint of nitrate. That's why I'm a bit confused. If my water quality is fine, then why is it full of suspended solids? And why do my fishes keep acting strange? ':oops:'

Unfortunately, my tank isn't big enough to have 2 filters running in it; there would be more filter than fish.
The current would be crazy as well. The U-1 has an adjustable flow-rate but the Stingray doesn't. It just fires water out like a crazy thing!

I am thinking, that perhaps, the piece of wire I have used to attach the Anubais to the bogwood is leaching heavy metals into the water. Sound plausible? I have had a suspicion for sometime but I don't know if I'm just being paranoid.
Do You Like Fish Sticks?

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:06 pm

Filters do several things.
Removing solids (visible debris) is based on having clean sponges and floss in the filter. Remove the dirty material, rinse it in water removed from the tank for a water change and reuse it, making sure that it fills the filter chamber with no gap for water (with debris) to sneak around.

Living on the sponges, floss and any other media are many species of bacteria and other microorganisms. These remove ammonia and nitrite, and release nitrate.

When you want a new filter, or when the old media is falling apart and no longer removes debris, the best thing to do is to keep the old media in the tank, or in a filter while the new media gets well seeded with the beneficial bacteria. The posts ahead of mine are great suggestions.

There are also filters that hang on the back of the tank, and do not take up any room in the tank. Easier to clean and replace the media, too.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:53 pm

I have a stingray filter too. I lost the little plastic piece that goes on the bottom (the intake I guess). I put a piece of sponge there, and it works fine, and my water is nice and clear. I would try this first, and maybe change the sponges- make sure you keep them. With the stingrays, their is a space where the carbon goes. The water that goes around this is not getting filtered by the carbon. Try cutting some sponge, and putting it around the carbon. Because this will help get anything else out. Put a new sponge at the bottom, and use the old stuff to go around the carbon. Diana has made some good points too.

If you still need to change the filter, keep both going for a couple of weeks, or transfer all of the old media into the new filter. Either way, Keep all of the media in the tank somewhere.

Current betta count...Too many. :P

Flotsam&1Jetsom

Tank is getting there. Thanks for all your help.

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:50 am

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and replying.

I know it has been awhile but I have just managed to save up for the new filter. Gonna run them both for a couple of weeks in the tank, then move the sponges to the new filter, before removing the old stingray.

Hopefully, should have lovely clear water soon.

In addition, got rid of all my minnows and danios, my L.F.S was kind enough the take them off me; much less waste being produced now.

Oh and I got the amano shrimp, which have made a fantastic addition to the tank. No problems at all with the dojos' :D
Do You Like Fish Sticks?

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:33 am

Thanks for adding to this post, it is good that the Loaches are leaving the shrimp alone.

Earlier you mentioned some wire in the tank, and asking if it might e leaching some metal into the water.

Yes, this can happen. How much and is it toxic depends on several things:
1) What kind of wire? While most metals are toxic at some level, some do not get into the water to that great an extent, even if the wire is in contact with the water.
2) pH of the water. Most metals are fairly inert at pH near neutral, and more likely to enter the water if the water is either acidic or alkaline.
3) Amount of metal in the tank.
4) Water flow. A small amount in a great water flow area might be worse than a larger piece that is in a poor water flow area.
5) Plants, algae, fungi and other organisms. Some plants use certain metals as trace nutrients, and can accumulate more than they really need. While the plants are alive they are removing the metal from the water, and are helping you keep the water safe. If that plant dies and decomposes in the tank that metal is released into the water.

Shrimp are more sensitive to many metals than are most fish. I would remove the wire ASAP, just in case. Safe alternative: Plastic, for example zip ties, can substitute for metal in many uses. Rubber bands will decompose in the tank, but are not toxic.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Flotsam&1Jetsom

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:43 am

You'll be pleased to know that I removed the metal wiring a couple of weeks before I introduced the shrimp :D So, here's hoping that any metals that were in the water have been filtered up, or sucked up by the plants.

I bought some plastic wire, to replace it, thats's used in garden strimmers. It's a bit thick but it does the job of holding the plants in place whilst they anchor themselves to the wood I have.
Do You Like Fish Sticks?