Clown Pleco only eats wood

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

NDininno

Clown Pleco only eats wood

Post by NDininno » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:36 am

I have a small clown pleco in my tank with 4 black khuli's, 3 clown loaches, and 1 flying fox. All of them eat the food I drop in except the pleco. I feed Martin's homemade fish feed 90% of the time, and once in a while do some bloodworms, flake, and sinking algae wafers. I stopped with the wafers because I got them for the pleco, but now he ignores any food I put in. It stays on the underside of my mopani wood all day and comes out to scrape up the top at night. I always watch the fish eat when I feed them. I haven't seen the pleco eat anything in over 2 years. I mean, I'm sure it's fine. My water quality is great, I haven't lost any fish in 2 years, and they all continue to act normal. When I first got it he would crowd the algae wafers and push off anyone else that tried to get close.

Diana

Re: Clown Pleco only eats wood

Post by Diana » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:08 pm

That is normal. Never run out of wood.
I have Clown Plecos and several relatives, and they are wood eaters. They have shaved down some oak bark from 2"+ thick down so thin it cracks when I move it for cleaning.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/sp ... ies_id=734
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:25 pm

One of my regular BN plecos only eat wood, and you NEVER see her out during the day. Most of my pleco-like fish dont go for wafers anymore. They love the wood- they have chewed a hole through it! I would just have wood- always.

Current betta count...Too many. :P

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:29 pm

I think the wood is a good material for all sorts of microscopic things to live on, and the Loricariads are eating more than just wood that way.

Try also the firmer vegetables like pumpkin, squash, yam and broccoli stems.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!