African Dwarf Frogs

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

African Dwarf Frogs

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:56 pm

WOke up at 5 AM by a sound of shhhefff, Shhhefff! I couldn't figure out what it was, turne don the light, saw my cat staking out the corner of my room, and there's one of my African Dwarf Frogs trying to climb the wall in my bedroom. I grabbed her, pulled off as much carpet fluff and cat fur as I could, and threw her back in the tank. I will cut some craft plastic to fit the area around the filter on the tank -- that's the only way I figure she got out. Most of my tanks are very secure, but this is a guppy tank and they don't make a habit of escaping.

glenna

Re: African Dwarf Frogs

Post by glenna » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:38 pm

WOW!

Kitty almost had frog legs for breakfast!
that was quick thinking.

Is the little frog still alive?!
glenna

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:28 pm

For the most part, my cats act as a warning system that something is amiss -- frogs, fish, crawfish (and assorted Florida critters that sneak into the house -- my parents found an entire family of opossums in their house). This frog has escaped twice and she is still fine. She was doing the floating frog pose this evening, and looks no worse for wear I am looking to see if the other frog is present and accounted for. I think I ran into problems because I topped off the tank last night, making it easy for the frogs to walk out.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:12 am

I found both of them this morning sharing a healthy shed. Looked like a froggy pair of longjohns floating in the tank. :) I have my holes plugged, so they better stay in the tank. :)