Tiger shrimp from Jim Powers; my tank

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

yaksaredabomb

Re: Tiger shrimp from Jim Powers; my tank

Post by yaksaredabomb » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Thank you both! I will have to proceed with caution with the java moss, then, and wait a bit on the java fern.

Attaching to glass, gravel, rocks, wood, even other plants that moss sounds like really "easy" or "difficult" stuff, depending on whether you're trying to grow it or get rid of it. :P I might still decide to use it, since it does sound like it could be a pleasant plant for the fish and shrimp, but thanks again for the fair warning!

On another topic, to follow up on that wafer it is still not gone yet. It's sitting right in the shrimps' hangout, but they don't seem to be showing interest in it anymore. If it weren't such a small piece I'd want to take it back out to prevent the pollution, but it would probably be more bother than it's worth. I might try again in a week or so, after I've tried a vegetable or two.

In other news my wife and I are thinking about picking up a couple balloon mollies - a black one and a white one. We picked the colors because my wife would like a varied tank and we only have silver, red, blue, and orange so far, but it may be particularly fitting for MLK day - though I wonder if anyone would find that offensive? We might end up putting our "MLK day fish haul" on youtube if we feel adventuresome enough, haha.

EDIT: For better or worse the black balloon molly we saw yesterday afternoon had already been sold. A couple healthy-looking white ones were still available, but we wanted to get both at the same time so no new fish today. Also no potentially controversial youtube video, haha.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:33 pm

Hi Jim,

I didn't know Java Fern can float. Can it float throughout its life? Does it need to anchor?

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:43 pm

I think it could float its entire life, but would do better anchored. I just thought he could float it until it got larger and he could anchor it.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:16 pm

I was just curious, because it is hard for me to keep plants in the gorund. All my fish work to dig them up.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:21 pm

I like to anchor java fern on driftwood or even river stones. Often I find it does this kind of thing on its own, given the chance. I seldom tie it to anything.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:04 pm

Between my catfish and loaches, none of my plants stay attached to anything. I tied Java moss to a driftwood with fishing line. Lasted about a day. :)

yaksaredabomb

Post by yaksaredabomb » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Maybe the trick is having the plant in the tank undisturbed long enough for it to grow a good root system?

My anubias plant took more than a month to grow its first new leaf (despite the CO2 injector) and I was starting to think it wasn't growing at all until I decided to move it to a different spot. That's when I discovered its roots had been growing like mad and clung tighly to half a pound of gravel when I picked it up. I don't think even a medium to large fish would be able dislodge it now.

Then again I guess it could be pretty hard for you to get your little diggers to leave them alone long enough for that. Maybe you could put a "do not disturb the plants" sign next to them. Or arrange some larger slate-type or flat rocks closely around their base to make a fence?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:38 pm

I have big smooth river stones around my plants, and either they are free floating or they are disarticulated. No problem if they can't pull the roots up. They'll just pull the leaves off. :) But I keep trying. I have found Java moss and wisteria to be my best bets. I do have some "bananas" floating and a couple nice swords, but not with the clowns and yoyos or 12" plecos. :)

Our fish club is having a big auction on the 22nd, and I am hoping for some cool shrimp to be on sale. :)

Laura

Post by Laura » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:17 am

Beautiful pictures of the shrimp.

Regarding your concerns about the intake, I keep a foam with an X cut into it over my filter intake - acts as a prefilter and keeps shrimp and little fish safe.

I would assume that your fish will eat any shrimp fry - assuming that the the adults are too big. I find that most fish over an inch or so will go for my cherry shrimp, and I'm sure that smaller fish still hunt fry. If I remember properly, I think tiger shrimp are a bit bigger, so you may have some buffer.

yaksaredabomb

Post by yaksaredabomb » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:47 am

starsplitter7 wrote:...No problem if they can't pull the roots up. They'll just pull the leaves off. :) But I keep trying.....Our fish club is having a big auction on the 22nd, and I am hoping for some cool shrimp to be on sale. :)
Oh no! It sounds like you certainly have a challenge on your hands. Best of luck getting some great shrimp at the auction! It's great you have a club like that you can participate in. :)
Laura wrote:Beautiful pictures of the shrimp.

Regarding your concerns about the intake, I keep a foam with an X cut into it over my filter intake - acts as a prefilter and keeps shrimp and little fish safe.

I would assume that your fish will eat any shrimp fry - assuming that the the adults are too big. I find that most fish over an inch or so will go for my cherry shrimp, and I'm sure that smaller fish still hunt fry. If I remember properly, I think tiger shrimp are a bit bigger, so you may have some buffer.
Thanks Laura! I think I can see what you're talking about with the X cut in the foam - the middle of the X to cover the bottom of the intake and the 4 legs of the X folded up to cover each of the 4 sides of the intake, maybe banded at the top with a zip tie or something? I'm not terribly opposed to my guppy or platy fry stumbling upon misfortune, since it happens in the wild, but I'll certainly have to look into a prefilter like that as I'd much rather it be at the hands (or mouths) of my fish than my filter. :(

I'm either having good luck with my fish or they're pestering the shrimp when I'm not looking because they barely seem to even notice the tigers while I'm watching (which can be hours a day if I'm not careful :P). The fry will definitely have problems, though, so I'm looking into getting a separate tank for my "berried" tigers when/if that happens. A 2.5 gallon with bubble-driven or small HOB filter with a prefilter like you mentioned should only set me back 25 USD so we'll see, hopefully soon. That doesn't sound like much but it's taking awhile for my wife to get over the $300 that went into the 20 gallon setup, lol. I still can't believe it ended up being that much but every time I look at the receipt it adds up somehow....
Last edited by yaksaredabomb on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laura

Post by Laura » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:45 pm

Hi there - For the foam prefilter, I just use a sponge a bit longer the the intake grill and slide it on - I have never tied it on, it just stays there.

Don't get anything too dense / fine a foam as it will get clogged - just a regular aquaclear sponge will work great.

That's great that the fish are playing nice with the shrimp. You can also add dried oak leaves to your your tank to make a bed of litter the young can hide in - if you soak them first, you get more of the tannins out.

http://www.petshrimp.com/shrimpspecies.php is a great resource if you want more shrimp - each species description says what they cna crossbreed with (which you probably don't want).

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:02 pm

I have never really had much problem with fish harassing my shrimp. I do think I get a little predation of the young, but I have enough recruitment going on, I'm fine with it.

yaksaredabomb

Post by yaksaredabomb » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:25 pm

Thanks Laura and Jim. The dried oak leaves idea sounds much less expensive and quicker to implement than a small breeding tank. Normally I'd have to say oak leaves will have to wait but we just had nearly all our snow melt so I can scrounge some up. Between them, the java moss, and the prefilter I may not even need to try the separate tank if there are enough young. That is, if there are any young - we'll see. :P

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:44 pm

I wonder if the oak leaves would end up making a mess in your tank as they rot and fall apart. Maybe someone with experience can tell you more about that. Also, I would be very careful to rinse the leaves well, if you plan on using them so as not to bring in some contamination.
By the way, if you plan on getting some, you better do so before Thursday. I hear they will be getting covered up again.

yaksaredabomb

Post by yaksaredabomb » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:01 pm

Thanks for the tips and heads up on the weather :).

Perhaps I'll just have to keep a stack of pre-soaked, re-dried leaves on hand and put them in only once the shrimp have hatched. Realistically though the young will probably need the cover for 1-3 months (wild guess) until they get big enough to decrease risk of predation, and even waiting until the last minute to put the leaves in won't change that. Perhaps swapping them out for new leaves before the old ones fall apart too badly would work? Or maybe the best tactic really would be to give them their own tank for those first few months.

A lot to consider, anyways. I may not even get any young (though my hopes are high), so maybe it would be best to re-open the issue when/if I find a berried tiger. I'll be sure to mention it and post pics if that does happen though!