Compatibility of catfish with shrimp and snails

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Compatibility of catfish with shrimp and snails

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:46 pm

I am setting up a special catfish tank. It is a short term display tank. I want to make sure they don't eat each other. :)

In this tank I have:

C. sterbai (Sterbai Cory)
C. pygmaeus (Pygmy Cory)
A. adonis (3" Adonis Catfish)
Ancistrus (Bristlenose 3" female and 4" male mated pair)
Hoplo Cat (1.5" -- no idea the species)
Glass Cats (2.5" -- may be taken out, because they are showing signs of stress)
Rineloricaria sp. (Red Lizard Catfish 2.5")
L-102 Peckoltia sp. (Snowball Plecostomus 3")
Peckoltia sp. (2.5")
Otociclus
Dysichthys sp. (Banjo Catfish 3")

I am not too worried about these fish together. However, to spice things up a bit, I would like to add red crystal shrimp that are between 1/2-3/4", and I would like to add some horned nerites. With the catfish I have selected, do you think they will eat the shrimp and snails?

I would like to add an Albino BN male that is 5", but I am afraid it would fight with the other male BN.

The tank is planted, sand bottom, driftwood, . . . I feel badly about not putting in their normal caves, but they aren't pretty. They will only be in this tank about 3 weeks. They will have two filters, a bubbler that wraps around the tank, a heater (80-82 -- they are used to this temp), and after 3 weeks they will return to their regular tanks and caves.

Thank you.

Diana

Re: Compatibility of catfish with shrimp and snails

Post by Diana » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:39 pm

Any of the sucker mouth sorts of cats are probably OK with the shrimp, but the other sorts are very likely to eat shrimp.

I think snails are OK with all those. I have kept about half or more of them, and snail population did not go down in those tanks.

Banjo cats and similar are also fish predators, so, depending on the size of the predator do not keep small fish in there.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:53 pm

The ones I am worried about are the Hoplo and the Banjos. I am amazed the Banjos could catch anything -- they are so lazy, but I guess that makes them a good ambush predator. The Hoplo is so small that I don't know if he is an issue. The pygmy cories are the only fish I think small enough to have a worry. I am not too worried about the Cories, but I am worried about the crystal shrimp, because they are very expensive and I don't intend them to be dinner. So I will use the snails, and not use the shrimp. Thanks Diana. That is what I was thinking. Also a little worried about the Adonis. He's new, and I know they can be cranky. I'd love to use the big male albino BN, but I don't know if he would fight with my regular BN.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:50 pm

I haven't kept banjos or hoplos, those would be my concern too. Do you mean http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/sp ... ies_id=277, dang, they get BIG, I don't know if any small critters would be safe...

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:09 pm

These fish will live with the shrimp and snails from Feb 5 to Feb 22. Then everyone is back to their respective tanks. I've had the banjos about 3 years and they are about 3". The Hoplo is new and about 1.5 inches-- absolutely adorable, pretty and active day and night. The A. adonis is about 3" minus the fin extensions. I expect them to stay this size over the next three weeks.

Yes, I made a mistake with the Adonis. Gorgeous fish. I need to get some pictures of him. He wasn't labeled and I didn't realize they got so big until I got him home and looked him up. I was hoping he'd be a pretty tiny little fish. I was wrong. He'll lose the spots and get grouchy, but he will still have an interesting shape and face. RIght now he is gorgeous, well behaved and amazing. I am so happy that I am in a fish club, because I am sure I will be able to find someone to take him when he outgrows my tanks. I am usually so careful with my fish. I try so hard to avoid tank busters. I think they shouldn't sell tank busters without a license. It isn't good for the fish. Here we can get Pacus, Red tailed cats, Chinese High Fins, Adonis, common plecos, shovelnose cats, . . . . so far I only have common plecos, a tiretrack and everyone else is of a reasonable size.

In my fish club having less than 10 tanks is like having none at all. :) People have 30, 40, 50, . . . Amazing!