Glue for stones.

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Hokum

Glue for stones.

Post by Hokum » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:29 am

I'd like to glue some stones together to make some nice arches and caves for my fish, but i'm unsure which glues are fish safe. I'm only talking about cobbles not large stones. I'd thought about CA but i'm not sure if it would be too brittle?

wasserscheu

Re: Glue for stones.

Post by wasserscheu » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:54 am

years ago I sent a mail to Pattex/Henkel asking about their clear hot melt sticks and got the reply from Pattex, that they were absolutely save under water, once cured completely. The only risk they pointed out, that reptiles could bite off little pieces and get a problem with breathing (mechanical issue) but NO poisoning. It was recommeneded to rinse and leave the cured glue for a while in some water before putting into a fish tank.

I cut (common) slots into Stones (flex, angle grinder) and fill the cuts with the melt glue to obtain form-locked joints. I was not sure whether the bonding in itself would be sufficient.
Wolfram

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:56 am

I used aquarium silicone for small cobbles (size of my palm), and it worked pretty well.

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:07 am

I know that aquarium silicone would be good. You could also use the plain hot glue sticks. I hear they work pretty well. Just ask around or look up a particular brand first.

Current betta count...Too many. :P

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:47 pm

GEL type of super glue. It is safe even for gluing live plants, and is aquarium safe once it sets up, with takes just seconds. Plants don't even have a chance to dry out.

I have had bad luck with silicone. There is an under water epoxy that I see at the fish stores. I do not know how strong it is, but I would give that a try. It looks like a stick of clay in the package.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

SusanFish

Post by SusanFish » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:27 am

I would thrust only aquarium silicone...
Loaches are cooler than guppies :-D

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:47 pm

GE Silicon II for windows and doors is OK. Kitchen and Bath has mold inhibitors that may (or might not) cause problems in an aquarium. But if you only need a very small amount it might be better to get the little tubes (not caulking gun size) of aquarium silicone.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!