Denison's barbs & 4ft tank - big enough??

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

kaz

Denison's barbs & 4ft tank - big enough??

Post by kaz » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:27 am

Hello
I have recently decided to re-home my terrapins that are currently in a 4ft clearseal tank. (The re-homing of the terrapins takes some explaining - I have put up a post on RFUK about them. If anyone on here has any connections please contact me - 2 male ouachita terrapins)

The reason I am posting this thread, is to see if anyone has any advise/ knowledge they can offer on Denison's Barbs. Before the terrapins (re-homed to me - not planned - but I do love em - reluctant re-homing now) I have kept fish (mostly interested in loaches) for some time.

I currently have a 2.5ft aquarium set up approx 90 litres containing 6 Chain Loaches, 4 blue tetras, 8 giant danios, 1 false SAE, 2 otocinclus, 2 dwarf corys, 1 (re-homed to me) 3 lined cory, 3 japonica shrimp. I realise this is not ideal and some of them are short in numbers, therefore, I was hoping once the terrapins are re-homed I could move the fish into the 4ft tank.

If this were all feasible I could then increase the numbers for each species. I have always fancied some denison's barbs and was hoping that this could now be the time? Would they be ok in such a small tank, and would they be ok with the other tank members??

Another query re. the 4ft tank - I am happy with the transfer of filters etc (terrapins have external fluval 405) I will sort out that with no worries - but it's whether there would be a threat of salmonella transference?? would this happen? Also, could the tank be left with open top? I have a t8 lighting system to hand and appropriate heaters and thermometers etc Would it be possible for me to get a condensation tray for the top? Or would this be too flimsy for the lighting system below, and would the external filter intake and outflow pipes be compromised for space on the hood area?

Any advise/ knowledge gratefully received.
Thank you in advance!
Kaz

NancyD

Re: Denison's barbs & 4ft tank - big enough??

Post by NancyD » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:20 pm

I have p. denisonii in a 4 ft tank. They seem more nervous & jumpy than other barbs, I wouldn't risk them in an open tank for even a short period of time although I do have a gap for the filters. I had kept them with SAE but the SAE was aggressive to them as the barbs grew. They may be too shy for the danios, it's been a really long time since I kept them. They're probably be ok with the smaller fish, I kept them with sids & small rasboras, T. espei, harleys & red tailed.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:23 pm

The 4' long tank is OK, but I share Nancy's concerns about the open top.
I have several in a well planted tank, with calmer tank mates, and they do zip around the most.
I do not know if they are safe with fish that are only 1/4 their size. Many fish, not normally predators, will eat tankmates that are that much smaller.

I keep my Denisons in a tank with some Rainbows and a Gourami.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:36 pm

Here's an excellent profile >> http://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/databank.aspx?id=216

8)

Laura

Post by Laura » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:24 pm

I think a 4' long tank is fine, but not open top - I expect they would jump - they certainly splash when startled.

My full size ones are not safe with anything smaller than a really big white cloud - anything smaller is looked on as dinner. Keep no less that 3 - more is preferred. I find they behave like jerks singly, badly in pairs and temperamentally in trios. In a group, they are sweet as pie with other fish, just so long as they aren't bite sized.

I think the dwarf cories will need to find a new home when they mature.

kaz

Post by kaz » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:34 pm

Thank you everyone for your advice :D

yes, I feared the little guys of the tank would be compromised if I got the barbs. hmm.

The 4ft tank currently has an external fluval 405 would this provide adequate aeration for the barbs, with 1300lph?

I could always increase the number of dwarf corys to a much higher number instaed of getting the barbs? Dont really want the little dudes to get eaten.

Seems like Ive got a lot of decision making to do! But if anyone could answer the query on the lph of the 405 for the barbs,this may make the decision a lot easier! :)

Thanks again those who repiled.

Kaz

Laura

Post by Laura » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:56 pm

I've got a 304 on my 65 gallon which is not enough on its own. To make up for it, I also run got two powerheads - a Maxijet 900 with a prefilter with an air diffuser and a good sized Koralia.

I lost some of mine when the filter got clogged and I didn't have extra oxygen in the tank - now I always leave the diffuser or an airstone on the tank.

The SAE love to surf in the flow of the Koralia - the redlines like it too, but not as much.

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:53 pm

Perhaps a better companion for your smaller fish would be the Brilliant Rasbora. Looks similar to the Denison's Barb, but much smaller.

The picture here is terrible, but google for more images:
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/species ... ng=English
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Laura

Post by Laura » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:21 am

These are also pretty - and smaller.
http://diszhal.info/english/cyprinds/en ... forata.php