guppies! they are baby making machines!

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

glenna

guppies! they are baby making machines!

Post by glenna » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:07 pm

Well, I got sucked into the beautiful guppy trap! I got four pretty yellow females and two fancy tailed orange males to put in with the kuhlis. Man, they are called "millions fish" for a reason!!! Tons, and tons of fry and so I have panicked and taken the males out and put them in the 29G planted with the raspora ( I think the raspora are disgusted as their regal floating about is now disturbed by guppiness.)
Anyway, the females were about to pop with babies and they keep coming and coming and coming!!
I have no idea how many I have in there. Whenever they get mature enough to tell they are males (Start harassing their mothers! and with pretty tails) them I pull them out to put in some other tank, but I will soon run out of room. I do NOT want to take them to the fish store as they will just end up as oscar food.
HOW MANY BABIES CAN THEY HAVE!!!!! the males have been out for a while, yet the females are still pretty fat, and more tiny fry keep appearing.
glenna

Bully

Re: guppies! they are baby making machines!

Post by Bully » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:02 am

Female guppies have the ability to store sperm for several months, so they will likely continue to produce fry for some time after the males have been removed. You will need to find some solution though, as your young will quickly mature and the cycle will continue. This is one of the reasons many people end up buying a predator for the fry such as an Angelfish to help population control.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:01 pm

I even have feeder guppies! Not even pretty ones. Poeple in my fish club take them because they like the wild strain. Everyone knows my fish are not for food. I have a few thousand. :)

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:38 pm

Yep- they breed a lot!

That is pretty cool! A couple thousand...WOW!!

Current betta count...Too many. :P

Joe Khul

Post by Joe Khul » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:40 pm

At last count, I believe I am on the 6th generation of Guppies from an original 1 male 2 female group about 4 years ago.
Kuhli Loaches are like Pringles... you can't have just one!