Aquarium Stand

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

itsjoe

Aquarium Stand

Post by itsjoe » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:39 am

I was wondering if anyone knew any good cheap stands for aquariums, I'm not to sure where to look to be honest and don't want to spend a lot. I Have had a few searches on Google and found that there's cheap metal frames available like this one http://peticious.com/penn-plax-20-gallo ... ml?ref=269 but I'm not sure if the tank can support itself as the stand doesn't seem to have a bottom. Any help would be very appreciated quick answers would be nice too :) the surface its on now looks like its bowing :cry:

P.s I'm not sure how I'm going to move it without a spare tank or container to hold all the water so suggestions would be excellent for that too :)

andyroo

Re: Aquarium Stand

Post by andyroo » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:40 am

In university we used concrete building blocks stacked up end-on-end and stuck them together with liquid-nail. Put a couple of 2x10s across the bottom and in the middle to make a shelf (80-gal), and a piece of fridge-shipping styrofoam underneath the glass in case of unevenness. Covered the whole thing in a thick tartan blanket and put the tank on top. Looked dreadful, but worked fine and had plenty of storage underneath for filters, nets, junk etc. In another world one might have skipped the blanket and left the blocks exposed and called it "industrial".
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:43 am

for containers- go to local mondo-hardware and get some of those big square tupperware boxes. One massive is better than 2 smaller, though the smaller are more useful afterwards. Cheep and functional. Fish don't seem to mind, so long as filters are still hooked up.
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:45 pm

That sort of stand works for aquariums that have a rim around the bottom. These tanks do not actually sit on the bottom glass. All the weight is on the rim, anyway, so no need for a middle part of the stand.
That stand is designed to hold 2 tanks, or a tank (upper level) and storage (lower level).

If your tank does require a full table, then get that stand anyway, and buy a piece of wood that is the same size or just a bit bigger. Paint it with EXTERIOR paint.

Ditto Andy: Storage boxes work well for holding water while moving things around. Make sure to get the lids, and cover the fish. Dark is less stressful, and they cannot jump out. If you have no need for them after, then perhaps several 5 gallon buckets would work.

You do not actually have to store much water, anyway. Just enough to keep the fish in. You are not throwing away beneficial bacteria when you throw away the old water.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!