cancel the panic

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Donna

cancel the panic

Post by Donna » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:05 am

As usual, this morning I unlocked the office door but left the lights off, so I could admire the aquarium -- with its light on a timer, it's dramatic with the fishtank the only light in the room.

To my surprise and consternation, the tank was dark this morning, although the lightswitch wasn't turned off ... Oh, wait a sec, this weekend we started Daylight Savings Time, so the timer's an hour behind. Ahhh. I adjusted the timer, the tank light came on and ...

AAUUUGGHH ALL FOUR ANGELFISH WERE ON THE BOTTOM NOT MOVING!! But the kuhlis under their shelf were alive and looked OK (deep sigh of relief), and the farlow was calmly vacuuming a rock. So at least I didn't lose everybody. But what had happened to the angels?

Heart pounding, I shucked off my coat and boots, turned on the room lights, rolled up my sleeves, rinsed my arms off in the sink, and reached in for the nearest pathetic corpse.

He twisted away and darted behind a plant, alive, alert and in high dudgeon.

Only then did I recall that FISH SLEEP.

They're all perfectly fine. Hilarious. Pass the nitro tablets.
Carpe Didelphis!

Crissyloach

Re: cancel the panic

Post by Crissyloach » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:51 am

Oh Donna!! :lol:

Current betta count...Too many. :P

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:48 pm

Good morning, Donna.
Have a cup of coffee?
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Megan

Post by Megan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:47 am

Hi Donna

Reminds me of the time we went on holidays and left our son to mind the house, dogs and fish (not necessarily in that order!). I got a phone call from him in a panic. In a sheepish voice he told me that he thought that there was something wrong with one of my "big fish" (clown loaches) as it was lying on its side on the bottom !!!!!!!!!!!!!! He was very relieved when I explained it was normal and it was just resting. I however still find it funny ! He isn't so amused though.

Megan

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:24 pm

Megan, you have a good son to be worried about a single fish in his care. :)

Thank goodness for sleeping fish. I have been scared more than once by that exact thing.

monicalovefish

Post by monicalovefish » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:35 pm

I know what you guys mean. The first time my clown loach fell asleep on it's side I freaked out convinced I'd somehow killed him. He got up, did a happy dance, and I spent the next few minutes trying to get my heart to beat normally. LOL. :lol: