ARRRGH!!! Gravel to Sand!!!

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Flotsam&1Jetsom

ARRRGH!!! Gravel to Sand!!!

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:30 am

I am currently half-way through replacing my gravel with sand, and so far; I have found it more stressful than moving with an aquarium.
I have read plenty about how to do it but, in practice, it's a thousand times more difficult than I ever expected.

Gravel is so filthy!!! There is literally

I did one half yesterday with no issues and now I'm doing the other which has been a thousand times more dirty as all the gravel was under my rocks and wood so I never cleaned it.

The crap that's floating about in it now is disgusting. I can't see what I'm doing or anything!!! That loaches are jumping about all over the place, the sand won't run clear, I have no idea where the kuhli loaches have got too and 'm not sure my fluval pump is appreciating all the extra work!! :( :? :|
Is is normal to be this stressed an worried about your fish?
Do You Like Fish Sticks?

Flotsam&1Jetsom

Re: ARRRGH!!! Gravel to Sand!!!

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:32 am

Well, it's finally done :D

The water is still cloudy as hell but hopefully it should clear up.

Once I come back from holiday in a week i'll get some new filter bits, clean the filter and glass so the tank should hopefully look spiffin'!!

Also gonna purchase some malaysian trumpet snails so the sand is kept turned.
Do You Like Fish Sticks?

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:00 pm

That is typical.
That is why my instructions for such a project include thoroughly vacuuming the gravel a few times in the week or so before you begin the change over.
Next, remove the fish from the tank. All that crud is irritating to their gills, and the stress of such major events happening in the tank where they cannot get away is more stressful than being netted and hanging out in a bucket for an hour or two. Less stress for the fish, less stress for you.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Flotsam&1Jetsom

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:43 pm

That sounds like a much better idea than what I did :oops:
It's all been done now though and so far no casualties. I won't ever be doing it again though :evil:
I've got an after picture if you would like to see.

Do You Like Fish Sticks?