River stones for tank

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Jim Powers

River stones for tank

Post by Jim Powers » Mon May 09, 2011 8:47 pm

I picked up a few river stones from a stream in the Smokie Mountians and was wondering how to be sure they are okay for my tanks.
The stream is very clean and the watershed protected so I think they would have been fine going right into the tanks. The hillstreams would probably love the biofilm. But, I decided to be cautious and boil the stones. I think they are inert, but how can I be sure?

plaalye

Re: River stones for tank

Post by plaalye » Mon May 09, 2011 9:59 pm

I've been doing some trout fishing lately in a local pond and eyeing the lovely algae covered stones at my feet, wondering how it would work?? I've also decided not to try it. What I do is wash the stones well and place them in a bucket of tap water. Over the next few days or a week I check the TDS to see if it's rising. If so, I try to isolate the culprit and continue picking out stones until I do. I rarely have any problem stones so it's usually just a safeguard. I've been using this method for a few years now without issue and even gather my substrate from the local river. I would guess this could vary depending on local geography & cleanliness of the waters.

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon May 09, 2011 10:05 pm

Checking the water chemistry of a bucket of water with the stones is the best way.
GH, KH, pH, TDS are the ones that would tell you if some minerals are entering the water.
If the water changes color, I would think that is a bad sign.

Boiling is good, it will kill whatever fresh water organisms might have been on the stones. Makes sure there is nothing alive to infect the fish.

If you know anything about the geology of the area, and upstream this can help. If you know the surrounding area has a lot of granite, and the hills or mountains the stream is fed from is also granite, then it is highly likely the stones are granite, and fish and tank safe. Other minerals are OK, too.

Limestone is not good in soft water tanks, but may work OK in hard water tanks: Rift Lake Cichlids, Livebearers, marine tanks and some others have high pH, high KH and the limestone does not dissolve in that sort of water.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon May 09, 2011 10:14 pm

Well, I live in an area that is just full of limestone, so I know what it looks like.
I have no way to check TDS, KH, or GH.
Any other suggestions?

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Mon May 09, 2011 10:42 pm

I wouldn't be without one of these. http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=tds+meter

Gh & Kh tests are not expensive either.

cider

Post by cider » Tue May 10, 2011 3:40 am

I always respect Diana's advice --she knows a lot about everything ,for sure, --
wonder if you have ever heard of using vinegar to test rocks? pour a little on and if fizz,not good for tank....if not fizz ,it's ok, and always boil . Has anyone else heard of this ? :?: perhaps this is not what you are testing for ?
G
cider

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed May 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Vinegar or any acid is a good way to test for rocks that may alter the pH, GH and KH. If you have access to, and the know-how to be safe, then a stronger acid might be better.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

HappyPoet

Post by HappyPoet » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:17 pm

Rather than vinegar, I drop a drop of ph down, which is hydrochloric acid, on the stone. If it fizzles, I don't use it. Since it's more acidic than vinegar, you'll get a more clear reaction, and more sensitivity as well.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:58 pm

Thanks, I'll try that. I put the stones away and have been so busy I forgot about them. :?