Panda garras

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Jim Powers

Panda garras

Post by Jim Powers » Fri May 20, 2011 2:49 pm

I have three panda garras that for reasons of space, have been housed separately ever since I have gotten them.
Recently, I rearranged one of my tanks to house them together with my shoal of Praecox rainbows. I thought it would be a nightmare to catch them and had put this off for that reason, plus I was allowing algae to grow on the rocks in the tank.
Last night I caught all three in less than five minutes!!! I simple placed a large net at one end of the tank and corralled them in that direction. They swam right into the net! Very easy!!
Since they have been put in the same tank, they are inseparable. The two smaller ones seem to be quite fond of the larger one in a way that makes me wonder if I have two males and a female. Does anyone know how to sex them?
I know Graeme Robson had them spawn and wonder if he noticed any specific behavior.

starsplitter7

Re: Panda garras

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun May 22, 2011 7:07 pm

Sorry, I can't help you sex them. I am glad you got them caught and that they are doing well and enjoy each other's company. :)

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sun May 22, 2011 8:23 pm

I was gone most of the day and didn't see them out much when I fed the tank this morning, but when I got home, they were going nuts!!
The two smaller (males?) were graying out and sparring like I have not seen them do before. Now things have calmed down and the color is back to normal. I'm not sure if that was a territorial thing or what but it was interesting to watch. All the time the larger (female?) was hiding in her cave. I think I'll do a water change tomorrow and see if I that might trigger some spawning. There is already spawning of the rainbows in the tank. I've heard that sometimes spawning of one species triggers that in another species.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:43 am

That is really cool. Maybe they could spawn. Mine play king of the hill, but they don't grey out. Mine are too young to be concerned. Let me know waht happens with the water change.

SgtMajWiggles

Post by SgtMajWiggles » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Anybody had any luck with breeding? So far I've only been able to lay hands on 1 of these little guys, but I am tempted to order a few more.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:06 pm

I believe Graeme Robson who posts on this site, had them breed in one of his tanks.