Eheim 2213 and the Noise

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Flotsam&1Jetsom

Eheim 2213 and the Noise

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:43 pm

I bought myself a brand new 2213 canister filter to replace my old internal filter YIPPEE!! :D

When I first hooked it up and turned it on there were no issues. I turned it off to carry out some maintenance that same day but when it was turned back on the damn thing rattled and whirred like a bugger. I am convinced that it is an air bubble but cannot seem to get the thing to shift. I have since tipped, shook, taken apart and reassembled the thing to no avail :( However, I am still convinced it is an air bubble as it's a rather guttural gurgle rather than scraping or ticking, like a broken impeller.

Has anyone else had similar issues with Eheim? I realize that they are meant to be silent and wonderful but so far mine is just annoying and loud :x
Is there a certain routine I should follow to help it 'bleed'?
I have taps if it helps at all.

I would rather like to fix rather than return it as I would then be without a filter and that is no good at all :?

Hope to hear from someone soon as I'm worried that filter is keeping the dog up at night.
Do You Like Fish Sticks?

adam

Re: Eheim 2213 and the Noise

Post by adam » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:18 am

Have you checked to see that the Impellar shaft is seated in the rubber inside the motor all the way? I put mine back together once and it wasent pushed all the way in and it was making some noise. The shaft could also be broken. They are made from ceramic i think and are quite delicate.

Flotsam&1Jetsom

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:55 am

Ah!! It was the impellor shaft. It's snapped. Luckily, the shop I bought it from are very nice people and will be sending me a brand new filter whilst collecting the old one :D So that's always wicked news

Thanks for helping me out :)
Do You Like Fish Sticks?

monicalovefish

Post by monicalovefish » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:57 pm

That's great that you found that out! I keep spares of the impellers and also all the actual rubber seals for emergencies. Basically, there is no shop that carries spares of that stuff so it's best to have it handy.

Monica