Corydoras Pygmaeus & external filter

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

FishyLady

Corydoras Pygmaeus & external filter

Post by FishyLady » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:30 pm

Hi everyone,
I would like to use an external filter but am concerned that my corydoras pygmaeus would get into the intake pipe. I could cover it with nylon but then it wouldn't be able to take in debris from the tank, is there an external filter with a narrow slotted intake pipe? or any other ideas would be most welcome.

Val
Better the chaos of creativity than the tidiness of idleness.

starsplitter7

Re: Corydoras Pygmaeus & external filter

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:06 pm

I have had Pygmy Cories and external filters with no problems. The regular slotted cover on the intake seems to work okay. I am completely in love with these cuties.

kimura

Post by kimura » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:27 pm

If you are at all concerned about it I would highly recommend these intake sponges. I put one on my panda
tank and it saved my fry from being sucked up by the filter. I can't recommend them strongly enough.

Filter-Max Pre-Filter :

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/p ... atid=21426

EmilyMarie85

Post by EmilyMarie85 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:33 pm

kimura wrote:If you are at all concerned about it I would highly recommend these intake sponges. I put one on my panda
tank and it saved my fry from being sucked up by the filter. I can't recommend them strongly enough.

Filter-Max Pre-Filter :

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/p ... atid=21426
I keep something similar to that over my intake pipes, works great. Just make sure you clean them every week to avoid slowing up the intake flow.

kimura

Post by kimura » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:39 pm

I bought one rated for a much higher filter than suggested so it doesnt clog fast at all. Before I found this I had a regular sponge attached over my normal
intake and that got to the point I had to clean it every 3 days which prompted me to looks for a better solution. Another reason these are great is that it acts a a good prefilter for your main filter which keeps the main filter cleaner, longer. It also adds more surface area for bacteria to grow which overall
helps water quality.